Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

I want a slk230

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Default I want a slk230

I work at a shop that installs stereos, alarms, remote starts, and other electronic items in cars and the other day a 2000 SLK230 came in for a bluetooth handsfree kit and i fell in love, finding that for a Benz they were at a decent price for the 97-04 body style. I guess what i want to ask is if you guys out there have had any major problems, any extremely expensive repairs, cost of preventative maintance, i worry about the tops fuctionality so that is a big worry for me. I am looking at a 5 speed and i saw that the clutch kit is over 500 on rockauto.com (currently a honda driver so that is a huge jump) I am also curious if alot of people drive these year round, because i live in an area where we get a considerable amount of snow in the winter and im not sure how well an slk would handle the snow. I already saw a sticky or something with instructions for one touch top down which is cool. at some point i would like to add remostart/.alarm, and was curious if anyone knew how to integrate/bypass the laser key feature? the actual car being stolen isnt a fear of mine its the contents.

well thats about it, sorry to ask alot of questions but i feel this is the best way to shop for a car, thanks in advance!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Default RE: I want a slk230

Save yourself some aggrevation. Mercedes quality for this time period is horrific.

1) Top failed once due to "sensor misalignment". I tried to open the top in 40F weather, heard a snap and it wouldn't open further. Stealer fixed it under warranty. Now I just had a cable break. Cable repaired but the cause was not addressed in my unprofessional opinion. A cable this thick doesn't break unless it was under load that was exceeding design tolerance (i.e. hydraulics failed/mechanism frozen and all the load was placed on the cable).

2) Windshield washer nozzle failed to spray on driver side...warranty covered

3) Catalytic converter seperated....replaced under federal warranty

4) Washer fluid resovoir leaks if I fill it too high....not repaired properly.

5) Antennae mount loosens from base when I periodically unscrew the mast to place a car cover...repeated repairs

6) Humming from the transmission at highway speed....stealer thinks it's tire related (doubt it).

7) LCD in the auto tint review mirror leaked....Mercedes would not cover but thankfully the manufacturer of the part did for free (thanks to this forum for the info).

8) In dash cup holders has a spring loadedtab that pivots out of the way if you use a larger cup. Both tabs broke off....common problem that others have noted even when lightly used.

9) Taillight recall....Federal recall. #8 and #9 makes you wonder if they're trying to get by with cheaper material. Tailight is nothing new yet they arehaving durability problem with these?

This is all on a 2001 320 with 15,000 miles (yes...fifteen thousand since it's driven couple times a month)

Mercedes is known for bling and ego massaging but not for dependability. If you can tolerate the older/more mature look, get yourself a toyota SC430 convertible. That's what I'm doing next time.

My 93 Hond DelSol was far more reliable than this benz and that had over 250,000 miles when I sold it in 2006 (was still a daily driver). Didn't turn as much head as the Benz but it sure beats people starring at me when the trunk opens up and the top stops midway because the system failed yet again.

Forgot to add, my 68 mustang convertible has a more reliable top then this car. Again, look and admire but don't spend your hard earned money on this. Maybe Mercedes will get it right once they ditch Chrysler and get back to reliablility instead of relying on old laurels.

Addendum...added points #8 and #9.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:12 PM

Well i can definetly say to you that i do not agree with mr " i own a benz, but hate it" on the top because i wasa honda freak and still am, but i went threw them like water my most recent being a fully built b16 crx shich i got rid of for about 4k. i bought my slk because i loved the style sexxiness and look that it brought to the table! it is way reliable no problems, moves like a true car should and its german engineering! one fo the best if not the best!if i would have to upgrade it would be to a Porsche because everything else would be considered a downgrade! he is right though at times because of very cold weather things copuld freeze,,, but what idiot in there right mind would want to open the top in that kind of weather anyway? i live in jerseyso wen weather hits, it hits hard, but again no problems what so ever, this is the 2nd benz i own and mercedes has been in my family since i was 7, nothing better nothing less! I GOT MY SLK AT A GOOD DEAL FOR 17K WITH 1 OWNWER 47K ON IT! last time i check chrysler became waht it is because of the mercedes influence, not the other way around! its a good car and has a lot of potential! if you got the money go for it because if youdont plan to beat on the car like a honda then all your repair costs will be a minimum!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 PM

ExclusiveImports:
Why the hostility and denial.; what are you 16 years old? Did I hurt your feelings by making a report ofmy experience on a car you also happen to own? If you're trying to stir the pot, sorry to disappoint. I'm glad you don't agree with me. I'm glad Benz made a happy customer out of someone. You might just have lower expectation than me. Sorry to bruise your ego. My comments aren't scientific, after all it is only a sample of one. But if a car costs $50K+, then it better have 3 times the power, reliability and style of a Honda Civic for me to recommend it. Youforgot toaccuse me of being a Ford freak for stating the 68 Stang has a more reliable top than the Benz.

Try not to speak too much because you make it obvious how ignorant (look up the true meaning in a dictionary) you can appear to be. Not a Honda freak, just have an appreciation why Honda and Toyota are so well respected for their reliability....if you check out a reference or two.Start easy with Consumer Report. When the Benz runs well, it'll spank my old honda civic (after all, they are built to a lower price point) and do it in style and comfort. I'm just refering to QUALITY and RELIABILITY. The styling of Japanese and American cars are in general bland and theride is boat like to me, there are you happy? Toyota loves to steal styling cues from German companies (i.e. Camry trunk vs BMW) and that's whyToyota have a styling studio in Europe.

Glad you've had Benz in your family since you were seven. Have you been brainwashed into not appreciating other vehicles? What value does that comment give the OP regarding this specific model? Glad you got a great deal on both cars...again what does that value provide the OP? By theway sensitive one, my sister bought the SLK, drove it for4 months then gave it to me because of job relocation. I guess FREE on a car with less than 3,000 miles is a better deal thaneither of yours (we can agree on that can't we?).

Your Porsche comment and the end all be all GERMAN ENGINEERING comment just shows how insecure and unknowning you might be. Try riding a motorcycle on a racetrack and braking from 160mph+ into a chicane with foot pegs and knee pucksscrapping (that's JAPANESE performance at it's best and redefines riding on rails). Seriously, I alsoown a recent model Audi. Ido appreciate German engineering. The Audi is more reliable and better appointed then the Mercedes at a lower MSRP to boot.

Let's comment on the interior of the SLK of this vintage, it's pathetically spartan. The dash is molded plastic with a cheap hint of fake wood trim. It's very square and anunimaginative interior that I would have thought came out of the low end market. They made vast improvements on the new design thankfully.

Comment on the Chrysler issue, I understand the business aspect of chewing up inventory by supplying left over old SLK parts for the Crossfire. Save money from having to re-tool and design new components. But it does make you wonder how a high end company can give a low end company key critical components. Makes me feel foolish like paying brand name price when you could have had the generic (made by the brand name company) for far less. I know, it's not the best analogy but you get the idea.

Sorry for the long reply, truely not upsetby your comment, just very bored since the stealer has the car for the third day and I refuse to drive the loaner Grand Prix. I ride through Jersey at times (globally speaking, I'm in your back yard), let's get together for a beer and tear up the streets with our SLKs ;-)....DRIVE FIRST, DRINK LATER FOR POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ;-)
Take Care,
-Honda Freak

ORIGINAL: ExclusiveImports

Well i can definetly say to you that i do not agree with mr " i own a benz, but hate it" on the top because i wasa honda freak and still am, but i went threw them like water my most recent being a fully built b16 crx shich i got rid of for about 4k. i bought my slk because i loved the style sexxiness and look that it brought to the table! it is way reliable no problems, moves like a true car should and its german engineering! one fo the best if not the best!if i would have to upgrade it would be to a Porsche because everything else would be considered a downgrade! he is right though at times because of very cold weather things copuld freeze,,, but what idiot in there right mind would want to open the top in that kind of weather anyway? i live in jerseyso wen weather hits, it hits hard, but again no problems what so ever, this is the 2nd benz i own and mercedes has been in my family since i was 7, nothing better nothing less! I GOT MY SLK AT A GOOD DEAL FOR 17K WITH 1 OWNWER 47K ON IT! last time i check chrysler became waht it is because of the mercedes influence, not the other way around! its a good car and has a lot of potential! if you got the money go for it because if youdont plan to beat on the car like a honda then all your repair costs will be a minimum!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM

My comments were not intended to offend you, they were to correct you misguidance because you are telling some1 not to get somethign because of your personal problems that you are probably 1 out of 1000 who complain abotu ur (personal) complaints. and i do not think that german engineering is the end all and be all because quite frankly i despise vw and audi even though it is all part of porsche and what not if it sounds like i am 16 then so be it but beleive me ur 50k money analogy is not an issue i kno plenty about cars and exactly what i need to know i own an aamco transmissions in jersey im pretty shure u have heard of them maybe 1 day after we drink our beers u can come on down and get ur slk fixxed at no charge to U! sincerely (the upset 16year old)