Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Default help!!!

i bought a new slk 230 in december. (a 2003)... it's been in the shop almost more than i've driven it...</P>

and the mb folks think i'm nuts-- i (and my fiancee and my friends and strangers) hear noises that the mb folks apparently do not... has anyone else had problems such as mine?</P>

1. when i start the car first-thing in the morning, first it purrs, then makes a gear-grinding noise. a loud one. it didn't do so until mid-may, now does it all the time. the last time i brought it into the shop, i was told this is "normal," but when i stood my ground, my car stayed in the shop for five weeks waiting for a spring from germany...</P>

2. after i drive the car for a bit, it starts making a clicking noise -- front passenger side</P>

3. and in late afternoon, it starts sounding like a souped-up mustang. when i gas it, it sounds like loose bicycle gears</P>

</P>

Old 11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Default help!!!

I am posting for my mother who is 70 yrs old and bought her 03 slk 230 in March.</P>

Since then, it has been in the shop for </P>

1) Rattling noises behind the dash, drivers side. Rather annoying. </P>

2) Starting problems. The car would have a hard time starting, like the battery was dying or something. When the car finally starts, it would run rough and finally smooth out only to start running rough again. This has been an ongoing problem for over 2 month with the car in the shop for up to 30 days. </P>

Prior to the last visit to the shop, the car was running fine when the thing started mis-firing on the Interstate of all places. The techs at the dealer have no idea and they can't replicate the problem. Now, we are talking about a 70 year old woman who decided to buy a new Mercedes for the relability.....</P>

Here is some of the runaround she has been getting. </P>

Salesman: "The car should last a lifetime if you only drive 200 miles a month"</P>

Tech: "You don't drive the car enought, you have to drive at least 100 miles per day". Excuse me, my wife and I combined don't drive 100 miles per day.</P>

Salesman: "Only use 92 octane gas"</P>

Tech: "NO, use 86 octane gas, we dumped the tank and filled it with mid-grade"</P>

Tech: "We replaces (you put a part for the engine here) and it is running fine". For the next 4 visits, put in a different part.</P>

Dealer Rep: "You should get your money back"</P>

Dealer Rep 2: " You shoud get your money back"</P>

Wrote a letter to MB headquarters outlining the problems, the reply was that the best people to deal with the problem was the Dealer. </P>

None from the dealer has contacted her as of this post.</P>

BTW the dealer in question is Barrier Motors in Bellevue, Washington.</P>

Will keep informed if anything changes. If anyone else has any horror stories regarding the 2003 slk, I sure would like to here it. They would come in handy if I have to meet with the Attorney General.</P>

Thanks. </P>

Old 01-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Default help!!!

It is because people like that we Mercedes people get bad reputation, well let me tell you that my dad...2 brothers..and me have owned about 10 mercedes the last 15 years, in december we sold the forst one we baught back in 86'...and only because it now had 250,000 miles and it was starting to smoke a little..so we decided to cell it..we also have a 86 SL300....96 SL500....99 E55 AMG...2002 C320 completley modified by Renntech...we also have an old model C...E...SE...new S...etc..mercedes has been a dream to us. The point of all this is that I own an SLK320 2001'...let e tell you people that the little "TICK-TICK" or "Rattle" that you hear in the passenger side is normnal with these car...this is because of the Rigidity of the car the makes that noise inside the cabin..also it is not going to ride like an E or S because this is a Light Weight car..and they do not put as much foming inside the doors and dash to keep weight to a minimum...also..the noise it makes when you start it up is comletley normal...its the type of engine..if you want proof..get a C class and turn it on in the moring...it sounds exactly the same...I mean...im not saying that these cars are perfect..because like ALL brands and companies..some mey come with disperfects...but i would inform my self a little more before going out and talking a bunch of s**t about mercedes and their cars....well with no more to say...me despido.