Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Electrical Problems With SLK55AMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Default Electrical Problems With SLK55AMG

Hi I am looking for some assistance with some electrical problems my car has been experiencing any help will be greatly appreciated
The problems started a few months ago with the car all of a sudden lowering the passenger window turning on the interior lights and then shouting at me cause the door was open it was however properly closed and if I opened and then closed the door the problem went away, then the traction control would activate for no reason whatsoever I could be doing a constant 60mph on a straight and dry road with no potholes and the TC would bring the car to a halt very violently about the same time my COMAND would reboot its self whenever it felt the need and would take over a minute to change a CD track these problems still continue.
Now yesterday again on a straight level and very flat road the car tells me its out of oil and to stop when I pulled into my office car park I checked for any oil leaking and found nothing so I left it for 30 mins and then used the press R 3 times trick to check the exact oil amount and it said 15.5L but the tank is not that big so I left it again for half an hour and tried again and it said 7.4L that seems like the correct reading to me however my headlights have decided that they are not needed and refuse to function and the windows will not fully close, does this sound like a computer fault to you guys as I plan on having the dealer recode every single module in the car to the latest software versions before I will accept it back.
Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance for any help
Dan

Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Electrical Problems With SLK55AMG

Dealer warranty.
I know thats a cop out but??

Bazzle

Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

it's better to bring it back to the dealer because it's a very new car.

some gremlins is playing with the CAN (controllers area network) and sending command to different components to do such function.

many things can happen during holy week.

the problem is new so they might go directly to the central gateway to eliminate the source one at a time.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the replies guys the problem has been located the engine bay fuse box and from what the mech told me the ECU have become a smimming pool it looks like the lid would not seal and water has run down the cables and into the box and it caused all the gremlins the car has been having and yesterday killed it altogether. The mech said there where 2 options a whole new electrical system or writing off the car and from what i understand the leccy system is a huge amount of money so do you think i should press for a whole new car?

Old 05-21-2006, 10:06 AM

To Dan: Hi, I don't know much about cars but considering you just bought a $65,000+ car, I would tell them to give me a new one! When we bought our $45,000 Lexus, we took it back the first week because we found paint chips on the edge of the door. Hehehe. I wanted to ask you, we are considering purchasing an SLK 350 or an SLK 55 AMG within the next 3 weeks. We test drove the 350 yesterday and loved it. We haven't yet test driven the AMG (I'm a little scared to). Without taking into account all the problems you've been having, do you think the AMG is worth the money, the higher insurance cost, the lower gas mileage? The 350 is going to cost us $55,000 and the AMG about $69,000. I just want to be sure it's worth the extra 14 grand. Thanks so much.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:02 AM

MrsDINK they did give me a new car and apart from a minor problem with the car talking to my diagnostic computer that was fixed with a battery disconnect the new one has been OK so far and my dealer was fabulous with me i am not saying its like that for everybody but they where great with me.

You really should test drive the AMG so long as your gentle with the throttle its very docile and if you have a lead foot it will rip your face off its absolutely fabulous i know the insurance is higher but it was lower then my last M3 and the noise alone more than makes up for the lower gas mileage whenever i look at the thing it just feels right and its just so fast (about 4.5 to 60mph) i wiped the floor with a maserati coupe last week and it still had more to give when my M6 arrives i will take them to the track and drag them and my money will be on the AMG don't get me wrong the 350 is great but the 55 is better.

It is worth the extra 14 grand there is no doubt in my mind my problems where caused by a faulty seal in the engine bay causing damage to lots of components if you want to check its sealed tight get them to point out the engine bay box to you and just press down on it if its sealed it wont rattle and when you see that V8 you will want it just remember to press lots of buttons check everything works.

Whatever car you choose you wont be disappointed but i recommend the AMG its a different league

Enjoy your car

Dan