Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Door Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Default Door Mirror

Hi everyone Seasons greetings from a newbie

My wife has just returned from the post Christmas shopping sales in her beloved year 2000 SLK to discover that someone must have hit her door mirror while parked. No exterior damage to the mirror housing just the mirror itself, still in tact but hanging loose held on by its heating wires

Ive tried for about an hour to re-set it into its housing without success. Gave up as boy itsbecoming pretty cold outside now and getting dark

Doany forum members have anyexperience on this particular subject that can pass on any helpful adviceI would be grateful to receive it

Cheers
Bob

Old 12-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Default RE: Door Mirror

you are in luck. you can access that mirror by popping off the triangular molding and the sort of oval shape cover just below it on the inside of the door.start at the top of the triangular molding. three bolts. easy. they did design these rigs to come apart.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 AM

Hi Brookings
Many thanks foryour reply. Im a little confused here. Will I have to take the whole mirror housing off the door to gain access / refit the the mirror glass. The mirror housing /surround are all undamaged and in tact. It remains fitted to the door as it should be, it is only the mirror glass itself which has become loose from its fixing inside the mirror housing. Its just I cant quite figure out how it should be refitted into thelatter. The back of the mirror glass has two pointed shaped plastic protrusions which must fit in somewhere but dont appear to line up with anything. Will have another go as its sunny and dry outside today.
Cheers
Bob

Old 12-29-2007, 02:16 AM

you have to start someplace.I don't see any other way to fix it without at least looking first behind the access panel. then if necessary remove the mirror to see if it will come apart. Or you can try abra-kadabra. not sure of the spelling, Webster couldn't help me.but thatusually doesn't work all that well anyway.I only know how to remove the whole mirror assembly. try positioning your good mirror all the way out to see howthe mirroris attached. from there on, you are on your own. good luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Don't take the mirror head off it will not help for this repair.
There is no access to the glass mounting plate.

Very simple to fix providing it is not broken just dislodged.

See the spring on the back of the mirror glass?
It has to be pre loaded before pushing it back on.

Bend it and hook it under the tab so it has tension on it.

Fit the glass back in place attaching the bottom then gently push in at the top and the spring will snap back on the hook.

See this site, click on disassembly, click on mirror.

Picture #2 is the spring in the loaded position.

http://www.buellwinkle.com/r170/

Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Many thanks AMPM

Ive looked closely at the images on your site (For some reason the video clip would not work) and compared these parts with what is fitted on my wifes SLK. I have come to the conclusion that the glass will need to be replaced as I have discovered that one of whatshould be three fixingspiggots on the back of the mirror glass is missing. There appears to be a R/H lodging clip situated on the mirror base platewhich should marry up with afixing spiggot on the back of the glass but the latter is missing. Incidently the baseplate lodging clip I refer to does not seem to be there on your image.

The back of the glass does indeed have the the spring in place along with one L/H spiggot and one base spiggot- but no R/H one. I tried for about an hour but at best themirror just hung loose on the spring so I gave up
Cheers
Bob