Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

convertible top wont open or drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Default convertible top wont open or drop

The weather is finally nice and I went to drop the top on my 2000 slk today and the button just flashes when I pull it back. I can push it forward and I hear the pump running and both the windows roll up but when I try to drop it the light just flashes and nothing happens. Anyone have this problem? I cant find any posts about it anywhere help please! only a few months of nice weather left. [:@]

Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Default RE: convertible top wont open or drop

Hi,
Variomatic roof is USUALLY very reliable.

Since the pump runs when trying to close the power supply, pump and inhibitor (luggage present, latch position etc) switches must all be OK.
Therefore I would conclude that electrically all is OK. However NOTHING happens when you try the switch in the opposite direction.

Note: Without checking I'm not 100% sure that the luggage inhibitor switch is included in the logic tree when the roof is shuting. (Sometimes the software engineers are just a little too clever!!) It is therefore possible that the luggage inhibit switch is defective...or the boot luggage blind is not in the correct position. The luggage inhibit switch is behind the RH boot lineradjacent to where the rubber end of the blind inserts into the side trim when the blind is extended. If you put a screwdriver into this position and listen carefully you should be able to work and hear the micro switch. Closed contacts = blind in position. To gain access you have to remove the side cover. No real issue here except that you NORMALLY have to position the roof part way in order to remove the trim over one of the boot hinge anchor points. Not sure how you get around this.

Subject to the above I must conclude that for some reason the switch is not sending the required signal to the ECU or the ECU is not receiving the signal. Possible cause is the switch but I have never come across a mainswitch (or ECU) failure previously.

The usual problem is the pump fluid level. Check level through rear most inspection panel on RH boot liner. Max Min marks are shown. Ensure level ground BUT if the level is NOT OK then the pump SHOULD still run but you state the roof does not move, NOT EVEN partially.

I'm unsure why you say the windows go up?
This is part of the closing sequence BUT only once the roof is fully in the up position and latched.
So are you saying that IF the windows happen to be down and you try to close the roof the windows still close OK? That's what I would expect.

Is the roof wiring standard? You haven't fitted a "one shot" open/closing feature have you?

Stuart

Old 05-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Default RE: convertible top wont open or drop

Button flashing will be trunk switches.
Check one at right rear where cover locks in place.
Give it a few flicks.

Bazzle