Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

98 SLK230 COOLANT SYSTEM SERVICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Default 98 SLK230 COOLANT SYSTEM SERVICE

1998 SLK230 KOMPRESSOR: I now need a new engine because of holes in my radiator/coolant hoses. I have done all the research in the world and cannot find any information on when is it time to change the hoses. Both my oil and coolant indicator lamps were on simultaneously, and then I was told I needed a new engine. I always have my car servived by MB dealers and the car only has 44,000 miles on it. Can anyone tell me what to do in small claims court because I have subpeonaed the service department for the diagnostic, but I dont know what to look for? This damage happened 25 days after having a 45,000 mile service and they claim a $27 hose will cost me $6000 for an engine. HOW CAN I WIN MY CASE AND GET A NEW ENGINE?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 AM
Default RE: 98 SLK230 COOLANT SYSTEM SERVICE

that can be very hard to catch, you never know when something is going to go, especially hoses.You can't always tell even if you do inspect them. I'm sure the guys at the shop didn't miss it on purpose. I'm also sure they feel bad about it happening. I feelbad for both parties. I too would be sad if I couldn'tdrive my slk once in awhile. just think with the new engine it will be almost like a new car again. think positive. btw,did you drive the car after the lights came on? that would be a big no no. cut the guys at the shop some slack

Old 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Default RE: 98 SLK230 COOLANT SYSTEM SERVICE

Losing coolant in itself would not damage an engine, driving it for any distance once it overheats can destroy the head gasket and/or warp the heads, introduce coolant into the oil and the first thing that goes are thebearings and walla, you need to make serious repairs to your engine, most of the time it's cheapest to go to a salvage yard (check getparts.us for a list of places that have your motor like Potomac) and pay someone to drop it in for ya.Do that and you may get away with half the $6K estimate, maybe go for that SLK32 motor you always wanted.

But from a legal point of view, you took your car in for a service and in your eyesthey should have been aware that the hoses are nearing their end of life and adviced you of such if such is the case or could be the hose failed for other reasons (did you break off with your GF recently?). I have a 98 SLK230 with 100K miles and original hoses, no problems. From the dealer's point of view, they did the service they were contracted to do and there's probably nothing in the paperwork where you asked to have hoses inspected or it was part of the service items specifically listed. Also you likelyaggrevated the situation by not stopping and having the car towed immediately once you were aware of the malfunction either by the dash display or steam pouring out of your engine compartment. I doubt you would prevail in court but doesn't hurt to try other than you will likely spend 6-8 weeks awaiting your hearing and they can delay it if they want, during which time you will not have use of your car assuming you don't have $6K to let them do the work and then sue them afterwards.