Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

03 SLK320 trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Default 03 SLK320 trouble codes

Aloha from Hawaii. I'm new on this site and I would appreciate very much if my fellow members could help me fix on the trouble codes PO422, PO432, PO442-443, PO453. I retightened my gas cap and seems to be okay. I also had my battery and alternator changed and the car stereo doesn't work. I inputed the code on several occassions and locked up, WAIT appeared on the radio screen. Mahalo.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Default RE: 03 SLK320 trouble codes

I have taken to the dealer 6 times to no avail. Dealer has replaced the fuel filter system twice stating that the filter was leaking explaining that this part is extremely unreliable. The computer system was also replaced. The dealer explained that an incorrect computer system was installed at the auto parts factory. Adding to the problems, the code for the system took a week to obtain and when received was the wrong code (dealer explained that this code comes from Germany). Result- the engine still shakes in a stop condition.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 AM

@ PinoyCaloy
Your radio code is incorrect. Need to get the correct one from the deakler. Sure your radio is the original equipment one? if it has been changed you will need to take the set out and get the serial number of the unit assuming that it is an OE type radio. The factory often record the incorrect data against a particular vehicle. However the radio knows its own code from its serial number thriough a special algorythm that can be used by the dealer, manufacturer or s"special" service over the internet,. Its all about anti theft protection.

With respect to the codes in the EMC I need some extra info in order to make any form of recommendation orther than very general ideas.

The first two codes indicate that the O2 level into and out of the pre-cat is incorrect. The level of improvement is below the limit for OK cats.
This prompts the question when did the problem happen, mileage, service history, incorrect fuel used (diesel ilo petrol etc)?
Although code states cat is dead could be other things.
What happens after the codes are cleared. Do they come back? How quickly etc.

WRT the other codes these indicate that the evap loss system is not working correctly. Since the purge valve and pressure sensor are both specifically identified in the codes, these two components need to be checked to ENSURE correct operation.
After cancelling codes...do the DTC's come straight back?...you need to check the pressure integrity of the whole system from tank to engine especially if the dealer has had many pipes off etc. Everything points to a leak or faulty valve / pressure sensor.

No easy solution like fuse X has blown I'm afraid.

Stuart

@ redmansioner

Is your post in response to PinoyCaloy or do you have different problem? Confused.

Stuart.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks snanceki and stuart for your helpful advice. My radio is the OEM and am planning to take it to the dealer for correct code. I cleared the EMC codes and come back on after 3-5 days especially just after starting the engine in the morning. I alsoreplaced the stock air filter with K&Nand the codes turned off by itself, but came back on again. The problems started when the battery and alternator changed at 41K miles. I always used 92 octane (E-85), always filled up when half tank, replaced fuel cap seal, and used Lubmoly fuel additives each month. I'll look at the lines for leaks and hopefully I'll be able to fix. Thanks again and more power to our website.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 AM

E85! and Lubmoly?!
I don't go with all these additives. The car was designed to run on "normal" fuel and additives can very easily contaminate 02 sensors and cats.
The additive and 15% Ethanol diluted fuel MAY have damaged the cats and the rubber hosing of the evap system.
I have no experience running on this sort of fuel cocktail.
Europe is moving towards E fuels (for eco reasons!!) but only up to 5% due to issues witgh older cars that were not designed for alcohol type fuels.

Is E85 sold for use in euro spec cars? I'm interested.

Stuart

Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM

Aloha Stuart and thanks again for your tech advice. Made mistake on the E85, it should be E15. I stopped using these additives and luckily my mechanic found out that the cats and evap are okay. At this time the cel is off and hoping to stay that way.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 AM

Hi,

So what was wrong? The additives?

E85...OK. However cars of this age were not designed and tested to use alcohol and although the authorities consider that no damage will be done by using them...otherwise they would be liable...I would stick to more conventional fuel to avoid any unforseen problems.

Europe is taking the 5% alcohol step on ALL fuel in the immediate future. IMHO Bio fuel (i.e. % alcohol from plants) is a BAD idea. Watch what happens to World food prices!

Hydrogen is the ONLY way.

Stuart