Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

YIKES! Considering a used SL500 VS SL600 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Default YIKES! Considering a used SL500 VS SL600 ???

Hello, Everyone ... I'm thinking about buying either a M-B SL500 or SL600 and would like to hear what anyone might have to say about a SL500 versus a SL600.

Here isinfo on how I plan to use the car, the $$$ amount I'm willing to spend, etc.:

I'm only considering used. I'll be willing to spend up to about $30K, no more. $25K would be better still. I'm not in any rush to buy. I can travel to get the car or have it shipped. I greatly prefer one of the newer models with the folding hardtop, but my budget might prohibit this. I enjoy cars currently owning a 2005 M-B 320 CDI, a 2001 Camaro convertible that has NEVERbeen rained onand I've owned several Corvettes and antique cars. I've also done full, body-off restorations to national prize-winning standards on cars, so I'm much more than a novice regarding cars. I just don't know much about Mercedes SLs. The car will be a pleasure car only; it won't be used for regular transportation, but I do want one that I can drive to the beach or mountains.

Here are some of the points I wish folks would offer comments:

1.) To me, the most obvious difference between the two models is the motor with the SL500 having the eight cylinder powerplant and the SL600 equipped with the twelve. I know the 600s tend to have more bells and whistles than a 500, but am I correct in this is the most major difference?

2.)How does the eight compare to the 12 in terms of reliability? Are there any particular year cars to avoid buying because of one motor or the other? Are there any specific motor-related concerns to ask about before buying? What about other problem-prone areas (transmission, the cooling system, air conditioning, starters, etc.) that I need to consider?

3.) I feel I can be an exceedingly good judge on the condition and quality of the interior, body condition, the condition of the paint, the glass, wheels and tires, chrome plating, convertible top, the originality or absence of the radio, manuals, etc. I mainly need running gear comments.

4.) Fuel mileage isn't much of a concern, therefore it matters little to me if one moror gets a couple more miles per gallon than the other.

5.) Reliability and good looks (duh!) are my chief ends.

6.) Finally, in most instances a 600 will cost more than a 500, all things (model year, miles, overall condition, etc.) being equal. Is the 600 worth the higher cost? Do any of you feel I should try to buy a better 500 (lower miles or newer year) rather than a 600 with more miles or amodel year or two older? What areyour thoughts in this regard when comparing a SL500 with a SL600 in these terms?

THANKS! I know there are a lot of you guys out there who have owned both SL500s and SL600s, or know plenty about them,and can offer constructive opinions. Good luck and best regards to all!

Ed Rouze

Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Default RE: YIKES! Considering a used SL500 VS SL600 ???

I was hoping to read some replies myself since Im new with my SL500. 94-99 SL 500's are going for 8- 15K right now. I got mine for 10 ( a 95). 10 and higher you can get a mint shape one. I was also considering the v12 or even the 6 cylinder. Im very glad I got the 8. I later saw people claiming the 8 was most reliable and tested and the 8 actually gets as good MPG as the 6. I can actually get 31 MPG on a freeway trip through semi flat states. I get 25- 27 in my rural hilly area with no redlights. After 4 months and a lot of fun driving this car still doesnt cease to amaze me. I was trying to find how long the motors last and could not find any for parts etc w/ bad motors anywhere so I called the dealer. I talked to the service center and he said "in my 13 years here Ive never seen internal engine problems on these, they just dont have those type of problems." He guessed 300-400K miles use on these engines. Seems you may be looking for a newer one. If I had it to do over I would have at least got a 96 when they switched to the 5 speed. Still, I think its safe to say the V8 is more proven though I wouldnt mind the power of the V12 and I bet they get a lot better mpg in rural areasthan the epa listingstates just as mine does.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Here is a postplaced in another sections that I think applies here. Bottom line is you will get a lot more carfor the money buying the 600, not to mention more HP and torque.Hope this helps:HINT: definitely get the 5sp auto trans versus the 4sp auto regardless if you buy the 500 or 600. Wellworth the money to upgrade a few years in my honest opinion.

Why is the 600 similar price to 500??Well,I really think you have to look atpricing first. Was the 600 really worth almost $40K more than the 500? That is a lot of cash, yeah, some of it was for the V12,and the 600 came with every option on the 500 plus it gotentire leatherinterior, dash, door, center console, everything is leather in this thing.But $40K more, I don't think you really got $40Kmore.. but heck, if you can afford a $130K car, you probably are not worrying about resale value to much.

Reason number 1 - The perception that the V8 is some howmore reliable than the V12.Acomplete myth than many folks, including other MB owners,keep repeating. The V12 is absolutely bullet proof.

Reason number 2 - The fear of the unknown.... not too many folks have owned a V12 prior to buying a 600, myself included,but most likely ownednumerousV8 vehicles over theyears.

Reason number 3- Maintenance costs. Well, the vehicle is essetially the same vehicle as the 500, chasis, metal, transmission, suspenstion, etc, except for the V12. So yes, maintenace cost is a little more as the V12 needs 11 quarts of oil, four more spark plugs, more valves, etc. So yes, tune-ups andoil changes will cost you approximately 50% more. Cost a few more bucks, but you are also getting a ton more torque. You pay for what you get. My last oil change was $180 with 11 quarts synthetic.

Reason number 4 -Gas prices could affect it, I think more folks are driving the 500 as a daily driver, or at least when the weather is nice. Hate tothink someone would drive a 500 in snow/rain/cold weather. It seems lilke more of the 600 vehicleare weekend cars, putting lowermiles on them ,and not driving them as much.NOTE: I did say more, not all... so many 600 ownersare not worried about gas pricing and a few more bucks on tune-up day. But because of the reasons 1 through 3,has allowed myself and others to pick up incredible deals on a fabulous 600 foronly a grandor two more than a 500, and in some cases thesame price.

You can't go wrong with either car.If you plan onputting miles on it, 5K or more miles per year, the 500 is the way to go. And if you are nota "geek" aboutengines, you will be very happy with the V8. But many of the car and engine geeksand/or someone who wantssomething a littlemore rare, and has alot more HP and torquewill want theV12. And if you want the 6 banger, well,your on your own, because I can't forthe life of me try and make an argument for buying a 6 banger in aclassic, sophisticateddriving machine like the SL, not to mention the thing weighsover 4000 pounds.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: alchemy

I was hoping to read some replies myself since Im new with my SL500. 94-99 SL 500's are going for 8- 15K right now. I got mine for 10 ( a 95). 10 and higher you can get a mint shape one. I was also considering the v12 or even the 6 cylinder. Im very glad I got the 8. I later saw people claiming the 8 was most reliable and tested and the 8 actually gets as good MPG as the 6. I can actually get 31 MPG on a freeway trip through semi flat states. I get 25- 27 in my rural hilly area with no redlights. After 4 months and a lot of fun driving this car still doesnt cease to amaze me. I was trying to find how long the motors last and could not find any for parts etc w/ bad motors anywhere so I called the dealer. I talked to the service center and he said "in my 13 years here Ive never seen internal engine problems on these, they just dont have those type of problems." He guessed 300-400K miles use on these engines. Seems you may be looking for a newer one. If I had it to do over I would have at least got a 96 when they switched to the 5 speed. Still, I think its safe to say the V8 is more proven though I wouldnt mind the power of the V12 and I bet they get a lot better mpg in rural areas than the epa listing states just as mine does.
My garage told me that you should expect the engine in a 94-99 S-class (assume they are exactly the same engine in the CL and SL of the same period) to go about 200k-250k miles before anything major will go wrong or need looking into....this assumes the oil used is very high quality, is changed at least every 10k (5k if you are only doing ONLY short city journeys), and it hasn't been thrashed, e.g. the rev needle almost never goes into the red.

Only issues are slight cylinder head oil leaks, which WILL normally start after about 100k-120k miles. The head blocks are aluminum, so corrosion can be an issue over time if incorrect coolant is used or the cylinder head starts to wear, or the engine overheats, but servicing every 10k should spot these issues in time.

Apparently fixing engine problems is easy, and parts are redly available but because its usually so many years since manufacturer that the engine needs to be taken apart, bolts being ceased is a big issue, so often more parts need to be replaced as a result.

The reason they go on well is under normal driving conditions, the engines are not under too much stress, and they are way over built compared to modern construction standards. The most important thing is change the oil often, and use top quality oil, and keep an eye out for any milky oil, as it means water is getting into the oil which usually means a serious problem.

Remember many of the S & CLs were bough by (lets be polite) over 50s, who tend to drive sensible and not at boy racer speeds, and are willing to pay for a service, so are a good buy today really. Big engine cars have not held their value well, with all the worry about oil etc. As for V8 vs V12, well the engines in the S/SL/CL class range have been developed and refined over many years, so reliability is very good across the range. Plus post 1994 they were detuned slightly to get though emissions standards, so are designed to handle more power.

I think the only decision factor between V12 and V8 on a day to day basis, is petrol (I think I'm right in saying both 500 and 600 engines in the SL range from about 1997 onwards had cylinder cutting technology when you are just cursing, so can be more economic than people think). And when it comes to servicing, you will pay more for labour on the V12.......but being honest, you should budget for these sorts of things when you buy it. Only other things, is you might get more optional extras on a 600....nappa leather etc, also i think the winter glass roof was standard (from a UK perspective) on the 600......oh and of course you get the V12, and 600 badge!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Hey Ed:

Why not get both like I did. I bought my silver/black 2001 SL600 with 35k miles on it with a year left on the warranty for $40,500 2-1/2 years ago. I've been happy ever since. The car is so nice that I only drive it on once or twice a week and on special occasions. I was torn between the SL500 and the SL600 also, until I took another ride in the SL600 and revived my love for the car after stepping on the gas pedal, and just enjoying the ambiance of the car. A love I've had since they first appeard on the scene back in 1993.

However, I wanted the SL experience more on a daily basis. Iwent searching and found a silver/grey 2001 SL500 with a salvage title that had been vandalized inside and scratched on the exterior. I picked up the car for $6,250, and I expect to have less then $10,000 involved when it is fully restored. The car has only 45k miles. I had it checked out thoroughly before purchase, and it runs just like any other SL500. It has the sport package with the 18" wheels. I look forward to many years with this car, and don't care that it has a salvage title. It's still a great SL500.

I highly recommend either or both. You sound like a very meticulous guy, and I guarantee that you definitelywon't be disappointed. By the way, I'm not rich either. But, life is short. So, enjoy it while you have it. Thanks for listening.

L. Manier, I am 66

also own a
2002 E55 (silver)
1991RX-7 convertible (red)
1990 Cevrolet pickup 454SS (black)
2004 Kawasaki ZX-12r (silver)

Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM

I use to have a 1996 SL600 V12. The car was great. Very little maintance. I sold it before 50k due to having another child. Besides the fuel consumption it really is great car. Get it inspected by a shop before purchase. The V12 was very little servicing. It is far then my god awfull C280. The car rides great, fast,started for me every time. I cant say enough. Idrove an SL500 but I am sure it is close to same but with less power. Good Luck.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:59 AM

RobertSL600 is correct in what he says about both cars, you can't go wrong with either. For me however, it came down to two things, insurance and handling. The premium I pay for my 500 is less than what I'd pay for a 600, and the extra weight (200+ lbs.) of the V12 on the front makes for a good straight line car, but I prefer a car that will corner better. My son is enamored with big block Chevys and he says that with a BB Camaro, he'd be able to beat me with my choice of a small block car. My response was that yes, you may beat me to turn one, but the better handling will more than offset any power differences. Good luck with your search.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Morning. I have owned a Mercedes Benz for over thirty years. The first being a 1976450 SL. It was a great car... Other Benz's that I have owned include a 1980300TD, 1983 300SDL, 1986 560 SEL, 1994 SL500,2006 C280 and a 2005 E320. The SL's are my favorite. I currently have my 1994 SL and my 2005 E320. The SL has ben a great running car in general considering it has over 130,000 miles on it. UnlikeOther SLowners, mine is a daily driver. Why pay all that money if you cannot enjoy it.There have been some repair problems including rebuilding my transmission and replacing the Throttle BodyAccuator. All totaled I think that in the 12 years that I have had my SL I have spent approximate $ 3,000.00 plus putting a new top on the car which cost around $ 1,800.00. It may look expensive to own this car but IT IS WORTH IT!!! I really love my SL's.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 PM

I own and drive a beautiful 2001 SL600 AMG daily. It has just turned 100,000 miles and still runs like a Swiss watch! I have eight other toys including a low mileage 93 BMW 850ci, 01 Z06 corvette and many others and prefer to drive the SL any time.
The only problems that I have had with the car is the driver seat heating element going out and shorting several other things in the wire loom. As a result, several console switches had to be replaced and repairs ran several thousand to fix including the regular maintenance. The only other thing was the top seals leaking responsible for locking down the cloth top. Fluid had been dripping out of the sun visors and getting all over me while driving. This is a very common problem with the SL's.

On another note.....

Wish List..........not that the factory brakes are not already over built, I would like to install a front big brake upgrade kit with either Brembo, Alcon or AP Racing components. Does anybody know were I could get the best price on a kit like this? I figure it might run around $2800.00.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Default 2006 sl500

I have a 2006 SL 500 with 15,000 miles. I have had the MB in the shop twice now as the transmission has hung up in low gear. If you place it in neutral and then back to drive it works as it should. This weekend the same problem reoccured, has anyone else incurred this problem and if so, what was wrong.

Quick Reply: YIKES! Considering a used SL500 VS SL600 ???