Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Urban Legend that is true.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Default Urban Legend that is true.

With out to many details, last week I was given a 1977 280 SL that was stored in a garage under cover and up on Jack stands. 26 hours of driving to Miami and back to NC I returned with a pristine ride. Perfect interior, waxed body and clean trunk lining. It has set for 5 years in this condition.

I am a fair to above average mechanic on American-made and Japanese vehicles. I am also old enough to know what I don't know.

My question is what American / Canadian model is the closest to what I have that I can get a manual on to understand the basics of this? I have already shot 30 wt down the cylinders. I want to drop the tank and blow out the fuel lines but don't want to just tear away at it with out direction.

Can someone give me some direction other than the dealership as I live in a very rural area.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-25-2018, 07:39 PM

if it only set for five years and if it was running before parked, you should be ok on fuel related issues. just change the filter. my r230 set for 7 years and was fine. check vacuum hoses, cap, rotor and wiring, maybe plugs. not sure when points were eliminated, if it still has them, check or replace with electronic points.

Last edited by brookings; 09-10-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:41 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I put a new battery in it yesterday for the sole purpose of looking at the gas gauge. It read just below the reserve. I am going to remove the fuel line just up stream of the injection distributor?? And pump fresh fuel to that point. I have contemplated cracking the lines at the injectors themselves and Pumping fresh fuel to that point after I have brought it to the distributor.

Your thoughts

I had not thought about the points I did look at the inside of the distributor cap and it looked clear but that is a great suggestion thank you

Old 08-26-2018, 02:11 PM

might use an injector cleaner in your fuel. if storing, one should fill tank.. an empty tank is the worst for condensation.