Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Top cylinder replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Default Top cylinder replacement question

Have a 92 and I went to put the top down the other day and just after it started its procedure I heard a light pop sound followed by a hissing sound. come to find out the cylinder on the drivers side in the quarter blew a seal. There is two from what I understand, one is considerable smaller than the other and its the smaller one leaking.
My mechanic can't find in the crash books or All Data the procedure to remove it. So he won't give me an estimate, says it will just cost what it cost. Well I've not used this guy much but I do know he will bend me over. He has my Esprit in the shop right now also and we've kinda tied into it over that car also.
Where can I find the procedure to R&R that particular cylinder?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Top cylinder replacement question

ORIGINAL: Greg Z

Have a 92 and I went to put the top down the other day and just after it started its procedure I heard a light pop sound followed by a hissing sound. come to find out the cylinder on the drivers side in the quarter blew a seal. There is two from what I understand, one is considerable smaller than the other and its the smaller one leaking.
My mechanic can't find in the crash books or All Data the procedure to remove it. So he won't give me an estimate, says it will just cost what it cost. Well I've not used this guy much but I do know he will bend me over. He has my Esprit in the shop right now also and we've kinda tied into it over that car also.
Greg,
I posted the solution for this a couple weeks ago on this forum; use this link to get to it.
https://mercedesforum.com/m_12407/mp..._/tm.htm#78554

BTW, the front cylinders are the same size, not one larger than the other. Even though only 1 is leaking, pull them both and either rebuild or replace. The front pair especially, fail due to heat and age. Therefor even if only 1 is leaking today, the other one won't be far behind.

Post any questions and we'll try to help you complete this simple DIY job.

Bob

Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: SunGuy62

ORIGINAL: Greg Z

Greg,
I posted the solution for this a couple weeks ago on this forum; use this link to get to it.
https://mercedesforum.com/m_12407/mp..._/tm.htm#78554

BTW, the front cylinders are the same size, not one larger than the other. Even though only 1 is leaking, pull them both and either rebuild or replace. The front pair especially, fail due to heat and age. Therefor even if only 1 is leaking today, the other one won't be far behind.

Post any questions and we'll try to help you complete this simple DIY job.

Bob
No, not the windscreen cylinders. I've done those before my self and had dennis repair them on a different R129 I had before. These are in the "quarter" and there are two on each side of the car. How does one remove these two?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM

Greg,
That's what I get for speed reading late in the evening. Sorry for the false start. This link will provide the collective wisdom regarding all the cylinders/top system at another forum. The info was aggregated from a number of owners by Lynn Sorrenson.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...nder-post.html

Bob