Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Tire Balance or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Default Tire Balance or something else?

My 94 SL600 has a faint vibration between 50-60mph
Solid as a rock at higher speed
3 different shops balanced the tires multiple times
Each shop says the other shop did a bad balance.

Less vibrations after weels are cleaned
Cannot determine which tire - rotation did not change anything
Rims are in spec
About to replace tires, maybe that will help - any recommendations - Michelin seem to be the preffered tire ( I hate them after what happend at the USGP at Indy)
Brakes pads and rotors are new
Could I have a drive shaft issue or something else specific the MB?

Old 11-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Default RE: Tire Balance or something else?

Inspecting the drive shafts might be good idea. The central bearing have rubber dampener, that likes to deteriorate and occasionally pieces of tar from road constructions stick to the shaft itself.
How are your shock absorbers? Did you try to push each corner down and see how it bounces?

Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 AM

Shocks are good. I had the driveshaft rubber damper replaced 3 years ago. But I do believe you are right, something in the drive systems must be off. I will inspect it. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2005, 04:24 AM

Have similar problem....1994 500sl with balance problem. At 65+ mph my face and hands are shaking and I am 105 years old. I had the tires balanced 4 times; each time i was told the previous job was done wrong. The fifth time I went to a company that sells high end wheels etc. They had a balancer that checks the wheel itself and the tire. I was told the wheel was fine but the tire was totally off balance. They did their thing but also told me that because the tires were relatively warn (still 10k left in them), I may get some vibrations....

So far, the vibration since the last balance has been less but not a complete result. I feel your pain......

Old 07-16-2006, 06:31 AM

Good Thread.

I know its old so no one may be looking at it any more.

I'm curious to know if replacing the tires solved the problem.

I have vibrations at 65+mph.. My front left tire is worn but the others are ok so I didn't want to spend the money on this if it is not the tires...

Old 07-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

sometimes the wheel rim is the problem.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:23 PM

It's funny you've mentioned this.

I've just had all four wheels refurbished. They acid bath the wheels and grind back any markings. Before I had this done, there was no problems with vibration with the existing tires. Now that this has been done, I'm having vibrations..

Two separate wheel balances haven't solved the problem.

Either the tires have reached a point where they are causing the vibrations or the guys screwed up the rims..

The front left tire is definately worn to need replacing.

What I can't work out is why one front tire would wear differently to the other?

oh yeah, Cool banner!..

Old 07-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

why one front tire would wear differently to the other?
wheel alignment comes in on this point.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 PM

If the vibration is only between 50mph and 60mph, most times the tires are out of balance, or out of round. Has the car sat for a period of time? A good tire shop can tell you very quickly if the tires are out of round. These computerized balancing machines today can spot the smallest inperfection in a tire that could effect drivability.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:58 PM

Ok, I've replaced the front left tire. The vibration is much less but still apparent and the ride not as smooth as it was previously.

I've had the wheels alighned also. No problems there.

What I can't work out is why the front left tire would wear out before any of the other tires? The tire on the front right still has 6mm tread on it. (new they come with 8mm). The tire replaced was badly feathered on the outsides and only had 3mm tread.

I asked the guys at the tire place and they said the suspension on the front left (where the tire was worn out) is probably screwed.

Something does seem to be loose on the front. I've checked the front suspension and everything seems to be tight and nothing seems to be bent.

The car runs well, and it's more annoying that anything else. I like to cruise at around 85mph and the small vibrations coming through the steering wheel after more than an hour of travel begin to become annoying. I'm also worried that the continual vibration will destroy something else.

I'm not sure if there is some steering wheel vibration supress rubber on the car. But it feels as if this is what has suddenly gone. I can't find anything in WIS on this.

If anyone knows the relevant document numbers in WIS, this would be good.

Cheers
Aaron

Quick Reply: Tire Balance or something else?