Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

rollbar going up top inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Default rollbar going up top inoperable

I need some help. I have been having problem with my tires, supposedly really bad balancing. I had same supposedly fixed but that did not solve the problem. I went to my mechanic who told me my tires and rear shocks should probably be replaced. Okay. I did the shocks and travelled to the tire shop. Enroute, the roll bar deployed and the top is inoperable. I removed the fuses and was able to get the deal all working. I drove fifty feet and touched the brake and the roll bar went up again and the top is no longer operating. When they put the car on the rack and tested same with engine running could they have made the computers go wacky. What do I do? Is this related to braking or to something that may have been done or not done with the rear shock(s) replacement? I have not had any problems before this with my top or rollbar. The car is a 1994 500sl. Any input would be greatly appreciated. sbeemish

Old 11-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Default RE: rollbar going up top inoperable

Push the rollbar switch up and hold it until you hear the rollbar catch in the retainer. This will reset the rollbar.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:23 PM

I have reset it; unless i am doing it wrong?

I push the "roll bar up" switch and hold same until the whine changes (at least 5 seconds--i held for 10 to make sure). Roll bar sets and is fine. I can even put the top up and down. Then i drive away and BOOM, the bar is up again. Once the bar sets up, i cannot move the top or the bar without taking out the fuses and replacing same.

Am i doing something wrong?

sb

Old 11-19-2005, 10:27 PM

I forgot to tell you the rear lower control arm switches have a screw on them with an arrow, One way is to test them, the other way is for function. If they are both set to function, you need to adjust them or one is faulty. Most of the time they just need adjusted. To adjust you lift the rear of the car with the suspension hanging free, turn the screw to test on the switches, loosen the 10 mm nut, move the switch until the tip of the arm just touches the control arm on both sides and retighten the nuts. Turn the screws back to function, set the car down, and you're done.