Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Roll Bar and Soft Top

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 PM
Default Roll Bar and Soft Top

Just the other day I decided to put the top down on my 1994 SL500. Nothing happened. So, I then tried the roll bar switch. Nothing happened.
With the key in position 2, everything checked out okay with the roll bar switch and soft top switch momentarilylighting and going out.
On all the posts I've been reading those switches were staying on, but mine are out, and nothing is happening when pressed. No noise, nothing.
Therefore, it's showing me, I believe there are no faults as no dash lights light, and none of the switches are lit.
I'm going to check on the hydraulic fluid level. I hope that's the problem. Maybe if it's low there would be a signal sent to the controller. I've really never seenany mention of checking the hydraulic fluid which is under the spare tire.
Can anyone give me any feedback to this problem? Please.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Default RE: Roll Bar and Soft Top

Have you boosted this car with battery cables? Sometimes this blowed the circuit board in the dash, which controls the bar, top and windows. Pretty pricy to replace.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 PM

Did not do anything with the battery. The windows work as they are supposed to. Will make a DTC tool to clear the faults and see what happens.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM

I told you I would reply when I made my DTC tool. Well, today I did make the tool, as per instructions using parts from Radio Shack, a LED with resistor, a momentary contact switch, and a project box to put everything into.

With all the information that I got off of Benzworld, I proceeded.

I decided to check out the roll bar first.I have a 38 pin diagnostic plug. I connected the 3 wires to their respective pins and then proceeded to check the trouble codes. It showed 3 faults. I cleared them and tried the roll bar. Of course it didn't work.

I then connected the wires to check the soft top. It showed 10 faults.

How could I have so many things wrong. It didn't make any sense. One day it worked in the summer, and then didn't work next summer.

I then cleared the 10 faults, and then prayed.

I then turned the key off and took it out. Put it in, and guess what?

Everything worked-- the roll bar and top.

Just as I felt. Somehow, the sequence got out of synch, and had to be reset by clearing all the faults.

What a wonderful feeling to have successfully fixed my problem.

I thank everyone who has posted, especially bobterry, for their invaluable information.