Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

NEWBIE TO THIS

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Default NEWBIE TO THIS

HI GUYS...I AM A NEWBIE TO THIS FORUM. I'VE BEEN USING A W124 FOR MANY YEARS & HAVE JUST GOT A SL300. WONDER IF ALL YOU VETERANS OF THE SL WILL BE ABLE TO HELP ME OUT WITH A FEW STUFF....

1. WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO STORE THE HARD TOP?...FLAT ON THE FLOOR?....OR UPRIGHT AGAINST THE WALL?...REAR WINDOW UP OR DOWN?....ANY WAY OF HANGING IT?

2. MY FRONT TYRES ARE 255/45Z/17 AND THE REAR IS 255/40Z/17.....DOESN'T THIS SEEM STRANGE?.....I COULD BE WRONG,BUT ISN'T THE BIGGER ONES SUPPOSE TO BE AT THE REAR?....WHAT KIND OF TYRE PRESSURE TO USE FOR THESE SIZE TYRES?

3. THIS IS A SILLY ONE....HOW TO OPERATE THE CRUISE CONTROL?

ANY HELP WILL BE MOST HELPFUL

THANKS GUYS

Old 11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Default RE: NEWBIE TO THIS

The Mercedes cruise control stalk has worked the same on all 6 of the cars I've owned. Press it up or down to set the speed and to accel and decel. Forward to cancel and back to resume. The rear tires should be wider on a rear drive car. Don't know the top issues since I've never had an SL. Yet.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM

The 5 % difference in the tire height shouldn't make noticeable difference in handling.
If the car is equipped with traction control, that might fool the computer.
Never have heard about anybody putting different height tires, but with the same width.
Lower tires are easier to damage, so if that is main factor, they suppose to be on the rear, but there are much more factors.
Again, with such a minimal difference I would just ignore it.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Hi Yah,

In the summer store the roof flat on some plywood, put an old mattress under the middle of the front roof section to keep it balanced and to give the roof support.

If you have a glass top roof, put another old mattress over the top, this will protect the glass against falling objects !!
To replace the glass is an expensive item and the seal around the glass will never be the same..

Bawbag

Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM

I hang my roof on a system of cables and pulleys just above where I park the car in my garage. That way, it takes less than five minutes to remove or restore the roof by myself. I have a roof rack with wheels but I've never used it. It takes at least two people to lift the roof off the car and onto the rack and two again to put it back on the car. The hanging system is way too convenient.

If you can't hang it and don't have a rack, I've seen many roofs at dealerships that are upright against a wall. It might be for real estate conservation rather than roof preservation, however. If you end up using mattresses, be mindful of creatures, some with teeth and no particularly picky appetite and no measurable manners, that may claim your construction as a critter condo and tear apart the lining from the roof for cushy luxury bedding.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:38 PM

go to ebay and search for mercedes hard top storage or rack. You can purhase one cheap there to stad it upright with wheels and allow you to move it around your garrage if it is in the way.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Lugnut has the right idea.

Get the ceiling mounted roof lift. It's the ONLY way to go.

Otherwise the roof will be in your way no matter where you put it and you'll have to find someone to help you get it on and off the car (also have to worry about scratching the car too)

Search on Google ... there's several out there.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 AM

Also, a newbie here....i'd suggest if you aren't going to buy a proper stand that you look at how the stand supports the ht and emulate that position. Leaning, making sure the hardware doesn't get bent.

Enjoy the ride, i'm shortly trading from a '91 500SL to a '00 SL500.

Steve

http://www.mcnallycga.com