Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

My CD Changer DIED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Default My CD Changer DIED HELP!!

The CD changer in our SL died and replacement cost seems to be in the 200 to 500 range. In my Chevy pickup I have an after market mp3 player amp and new speakers installed for 500US dollars and I love it. I don't expect my SL to be so easy not to mention who I would trust to tell me what the best options for my car stereo are. This is where I need you guys. HELP!!! What should I do? Replace the old changer or replace the stereo with a modern system?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated My car is a sport with the Bose system.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Unhappy 2001 SL500 CD Changer, died right in middle of song

Was driving listening to CD Changer (factory OEM) playing when all of a sudden heard a snap and head unit reports cartridge could not be found.

I have disconnected power at fuse box (and then had to enter radio code), disconnected fiber line and power to CD changer, ejected cartridge and reloaded cds, all with no success.

Put cartridge in changer and I can hear the various trays being pulled into the changer and pushed back out, but when I push the cd button on the factory head unit, I get error that no cartridge is found.

I think I have an hardware failure in the changer itself, so I am looking for two things: (1) source for repair of the original changer (2) recommendation for a replacement changer that will handle MP3 encoded discs in addition to all the standard discs as the original changer. Hopefully this will be just a plug and play repair. I hate kludged up adapters.

Appreciate any info and suggestions.

Chuck

Old 03-28-2009, 01:41 PM

My CD player wasn't working well either until I removed the player and opened it up to blow out the dust and reseat all of the electrical connectors. Not too difficult to do, similar to putting memory in your PC. The no cartridge found error suggests that a switch that senses the cartridge position (that it's in place) has failed, or maybe the connectors are dirty, just guessing. I removed my "magazine" and the error says "mag none", so maybe the terminology has changed. You may have a damaged cartridge too.

98 SL500 Bose system, 6 disc MB changer