Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Manual hardtop removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Default Manual hardtop removal/installation

I am going through a period of poverty and I need to manually replace my hardtop while I'm waiting to pay to have my convertable top system fixed. The two front attachment points attach easily with the 5mm hex wrench. The two rear attachment points are giving me trouble.
In the past, I have moved the levers on either side using the 10mm wrench and then applied down force until the attachment points latch. Now when I move the levers there is a pop and the rear pins settle a little but I cant push them down until they lock. they are stuck with about 3/4" gap. Do I need to open the latches before I push the attachment points into them? If so how?
Thanks
________
TOTAL DRAMA ISLAND DICUSSION

Last edited by parrotheadfl; 04-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 AM

got the economy blues? everyone I know has been effected by the economy. have you tried loosening the front catches, lifting up the back of the top enough so the rear pins are not making contact with any hardware in the pin hole, use pillows as spacers under the top to hold it up.. go back and lift the trunk levers up as far as they will go as if you were removing the top. lower the top back down into the pin holes. push down the left lock lever to the first notch and then right side all the way down till you hear it catch, then back to the left side and tighten down till you hear it catch. then lock down the front. what year is your rig? the earlier 129sl has self diagnostics that flash codes through your top switch if you short 1 and ten ports for 3 or 4 seconds, if you have the 16 pin diagnostic port behind the strut mount on the passenger side firewall under the hood. have the ignition on but not running. count the flashes.

Last edited by brookings; 01-09-2010 at 01:59 AM.