Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

How to buy old convertible 450SL

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Default How to buy old convertible 450SL

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=1>I am looking to buy an old 1976 to 1980 model 380/450SL con</FONT><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT size=1>vertible and do not know what I need to be looking for. I would like to know</FONT> if there are any serious problems with these cars or what is the most important thing to look for; i.e. miles, working A/C (if exist), spots that regularlyrust, etc. </SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Any help is great appreciated!</SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"></SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Matt</SPAN></SPAN></P>

Old 04-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Default RE: How to buy old convertible 450SL

If you go to http://members.aol.com/dquinn5735/buylist.html you will find a SL Buyers Checklist. Hope this helps. I just purchased a 1975 450SL with 15,225 miles and used this list to help me check it out.

Burt

Old 04-15-2004, 03:48 AM
Default RE: How to buy old convertible 450SL

I have 2 1977 450sl's (his and hers)
Trouble Spots:
Power Steering Box (they all leak, the question is how much)
Rust (try for a southern car)
check compression (valve guides can cause oil burning also)
Try to get one with no more than 100,000 miles on it. The engine if properly cared for will last over 200,000 in these all cast iron blocks. In later models they switched to alum. block w/cast liners that does not wear as well.
Most important, get a good MB mechanic BEFORE you get the car... let him check it out as EVERYTHING is expensive to fix, but 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever' and without a doubt, this is a classic automobile that you will really enjoy driving.