Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Gas cap stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Default Gas cap stuck

I have an SL 500 2001 my gas cap gets stuck. I have replaced it three times but it still happens. The dealer wants to replace the tank and neck for over $1000. Is there any other solution?

Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Default Gas cap/nozzle repair

Wild crazy person here: 3 new gas caps and problem still exist if I understand correctly.

Nozzle problem and gas is very explosive. Bladder to isolate the nozzle from tank a few inches below the nozzle and fill with water. Modify the nozzle with hydraulic compression tool or compression tool or grind if you can't smooth off any other way.

You're own you own for safety. Fumes can be worse than liquid; take that for what it's worth; full vs empty. If you empty the tank you can purge it with exhaust or N2.

If you do not have craft skills it may be advisible to get it done elsewhere. This could be very bad advise for some.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 PM

I have an older SL (96) and I just looked at the cap. If the cap is similar, can you tell whether it is (what I will call) the ears, or possibly the gasket. This must be an air tight seal. I would try a little vaseline on the gasket or even lightly around the whole inside of the gas cap (or the top of the tank). Start with a little on the cap. Secondly, I would look at the ears on the cap as to whether they have been bent (dropped), or the top of the tank from tossing the nozzle into the tank, if it is bent a little. I would do a little work (first on the cap) with a pair of pliers if the vaseline doesn't work. It does make a lot of things work better (flapper in a toilet). I would be very reluctant to do any grinding around a full or empty tank, if you are still with us.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM

IF it is only a cap problem; silicone grease will not wash off and can become a permanent lubricant. Naturally what I mentioned is a last efffort. I'm 43 yrs in maintenance from design to engineering to implementing tool design.

But; I'm here....... it just isn't the same thing as 'being there'. If you're not a seasoned professional and safety is a big issue; where there is any level of discomfort - avoid doing it.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advise. I dropped the car off at the dealer and they will see if they can bend the tabs in the neck if not i will need to replace the tank and neck not sure the cost. Totally stupid 80K car and the gas cap is making it so i cant drive the car. Mercedes should be ashamed.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Got the quote 2k for a new gas tank.........................i bought an aftermarket gas cap online for $17 i think it will work. If not i will sell the car 2001 SL 500R 47,000 miles. Black on Black new tires. Car is perfect. Hate to sell it but not spending 2k.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Default Engine and cabin filter

does anyone have complete instrustions on changing engine and cabin filters. SL 500 2001.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM

the tabs can be bent back into place with a 90 degree pick or something like it but it has to be strong. you shouldnt need a new gas tank unless the actual tab got broken off. there are 2 tabs one on top and one on the bottom. bend them outwards, or i guess inwards....what usually happens is when getting gas, the gas pump nozzle is banging against them and bending them or i guess overtime they just bend from the cap itself... the gas cap will turn past where its supposed to stop and then gets screwed up.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Got the aftermarket cap and it works or should i say it fits and comes on and off easy. My check engine light still on so the tank might not be pressurizing but for now im happy.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks for your help i will try to adjust the tabs but im a little afraid of making it worse. What do u know about the aftermarket caps. they have the tabs the only differance is the tabs dont move.