Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Unhappy Dealer service

I have a 1999 SL 500 with 66,000 miles. Dealer did a 20,000 service check and says the car needs the following:
1. Plugs are either original or over 5 yrs old and need to be replaced. Claims that if a plug should go bad ( they are Platnum and the heads alum) the plug could damage the head and that would be really expensive fix. The want $533 to do the plugs:

2. Front wheels need new shock too much play. $118
3. Brakes need to be repacked and bearings $466
4. Fuel filter: $224

Representative claims these items have not been done in at least 5 years.
I am looking for knowledgeable opinions. Am I being ripped off?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 PM

dont do the wheel bearing repack. and usually the spark plugs go 100k miles. fuel filter is not nesessary either. thats up to you though. if the car is running fine and not running rough or no check engine light. no need to do the spark plugs either.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM

Chassis221 is right On!
I would have them do the brakes only and not touch anything else. Wheel bearing will make noise when is going bad, usually good for over 100K miles. Bad shock will not make of have affect on play in the wheel, never. If the car would be 5 years old with 5K miles on it, would you replace the plugs because they are 5 years old but warranty on them is 100K miles? There is no age limit on plugs, only on fluids.
I have 159,480 miles on my 99 ML320 with original fuel filter, no trouble at all and I have replaced the one bad original wheel bearing last month.
That is right, they make your car sound like pile of ....., even though is still like new and you are being ripped off big time!
What I would suggest is to replace transmission "lifetime filled and sealed" fluid! If it was not done yet, because it will go bad as on any other car, it is a warranty time lasting fill, not a lifetime lasting fill!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Default Thx

Originally Posted by mbenz80
Chassis221 is right On!
I would have them do the brakes only and not touch anything else. Wheel bearing will make noise when is going bad, usually good for over 100K miles. Bad shock will not make of have affect on play in the wheel, never. If the car would be 5 years old with 5K miles on it, would you replace the plugs because they are 5 years old but warranty on them is 100K miles? There is no age limit on plugs, only on fluids.
I have 159,480 miles on my 99 ML320 with original fuel filter, no trouble at all and I have replaced the one bad original wheel bearing last month.
That is right, they make your car sound like pile of ....., even though is still like new and you are being ripped off big time!
What I would suggest is to replace transmission "lifetime filled and sealed" fluid! If it was not done yet, because it will go bad as on any other car, it is a warranty time lasting fill, not a lifetime lasting fill!
Thx for your reply. I will use it to tell the dealer why he will never see me again.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:54 PM

I agree with 'chassis' and '80'. Plugs don't come with a "best before date", They only wear out when they are used.
While you may or may not need a new shock they have little to do with wheel play. The best test is an old one. Push down on each corner. If the car rocks and rolls you need a new shock. If it simply bounces back to normal level then your shocks are fine.
Brakes. Has the brake light come on? Wait til it does unless you are having problems or noise.
Fuel filter. Seems early to replace unless car has sat for extended periods without gasoline stabilizer additive.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM

the dealer is not doing anything wrong really. they are just trying to sell you preventative maintenance which is good. its you decision to choose what you want to do. they cant make you buy anything. alot people dont like the dealer but they do know your car best. i know many people tht swear they will never go back but at some they have to because alot of garages F--- up the cars or cant fix them and the customer ends up spending more money than they would have if they just went to the dealer in the first place.