New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Dealer service ?'s- Lease '04 C230

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Default Dealer service ?'s- Lease '04 C230

Hey folks- First time post here and I hate that it's a bad situation.

My wife the C230 sedan in for the 20k service and a warranty item. Since it's an '04, service is free.

Upon pickup, I found I owed a sum close to the monthly car payment! Somehow we had the car aligned.

I've driven the car, my wife never noticed a pull and the tires show absolutely no abnormal tire wear.

Once I settled down I asked wifey about the service.

Turns out... when my wife took the car in, the advisor suggested the alignment checked and that no other service would be performed without notification. Advisor also also said the dealer was the only place the car could get aligned. I fell (as does my wife) that she was pressured into signing a release.

1: We were not notified about the alignment or associated cost.
2: That line about dealers are the only place to get aligned is bunk.
3: The car came back unwashed and the carpet was dirty. (Interior was spotless, toots spent all day Wednesday cleaning her toy.)
4: Clock 1 hour off. I'd thought a premium auto dealer would check these things.

Before I shoot off and start swinging, what are your thoughts? Is there any deal where because it's a lease car that only MB dealers can touch the car? I'll be letting the shop (and higher up) that I believe what was pulled was unethical and at the least poor customer service.

Thanks folks...

Old 06-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Default RE: Dealer service ?'s- Lease '04 C230

Looks like you go taken. Chalk it up to experience and never let a women take a car in for service, as they take advantage of them at two dealers I know in my area. My neighbor took her 2004 for routine maintenance and asked them to check a brake squeal and by the time she got finished it cost her 2 car payments. ALWAYS TELL THE ADVISOR TO CALL YOU BEFORE ANY SERVICE IS PERFORMED, THAT IS NOT WARRANTY, WHETHER YOU ASKED THEM TO CHECK SOMETHING OR NOT.

My spousal unit is taking her 04 Hyundai XC350L in for free service this Thursday and I am going with her to speak with the advisor, so there is no misunderstandings.

Please don't start shooting off and start swining. Car dealers are car dealers and Mercedes sales are way down, I read. So they have to make money somehow. My Benz is 6 years old and I drive the hell out of it and the front end has never had a problem. Also, it is there word against yours. also Mercedes Benz North America will not help you. I had a rust issue on the rear quarter panel on both sides of my 99 C280 where the quarter panels crease in at the bumper. The factory didn't apple the proper amount of seam sealant, it cost be $400 to have it fixed and one of the rear quarters completely repainted as I had a few scratches. MBUSA, got down right nasty after the third call I made to them. I have dealt with the shop who did the work for 20 years and he has done show quality restorations for me, one a 86 Porsche and one a 72 VW Beetle drophead, so he was right, Benz was wrong.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 AM

Chalk it up to experience and never let a women take a car in for service, as they take advantage of them at two dealers I know in my area.
I have to disagree with Wizard's statement here (at least in my situation)... I only let my mife take the car into the dealer. Not to put myself down, but her way with words is a lot better than mineNot to mention that she is the hottest thing on 2 legs (pretty sexist and politically incorrect in todays day and age, but oh well)...
I tend to lose my temper, and that just doesn't resolve issues... Be stern with the advisor, but don't make a fool of yourself. Act professional and be cool. Ask to speak to the manager. You probably have a choice of more than one dealer in your area. Mention that to them, but don't threaten. Like Wizard said... They need your business. And IMO, they need you a lot more than you need them.
If you have to eat the cost?... Well it's an expensive lesson learned for in the future.
Good luck

Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 PM

My wife, as my neighbor across the street with the ML are both quiet and reserved, so I made that statement, and should have clarified it. But some of these dealers do not treat woman equally and that also gets me very upset. As shovelhead said be stern and don't make a fool of yourself, be professional and so on is very good advice.
Here is some trivia for you, the word woman comes from the old english word Wlfman with translates from Wlf woman, wife + human being, man. Interesting how and where words come from.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM

You got taken.

p.s. my 02 C240 is still under waurenty. i take it to Park Place Benz here in Dallas and am treated like a rockstar. i'll check, but think they do the alignment for free. get it back spotless too. i love going to that place!

Old 06-23-2005, 01:01 AM

Now that I've had a few days to sit on it and chat with a pal (ex-audi sales, leases a C230 too) about the deal, he agrees with you guys. Not to blow my stack but at the least let them know I was not pleased with how the service went.

I don't expect a refund but I -do- expect better service.

It's a friggin' Mercedes!

I'll pass along what they say...