Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

In a bind need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 12:39 PM
Default In a bind need help

On 1999 SL500 convertible top, hydralicque fluid shot out of the back passenger corner straight up in the air.
The back of top will not lock in place and the front will not unlock. I need to get the top down and try to get the hard top back on.
Is there a way to unlock the front and will it lock the hard top front and back.
Thank you

Old 07-12-2020, 05:02 PM

I found the levers but the one on driver side in back is in the lock position and moving the lever does not move the lock to the open position, the prong on the hardtop cannot go down and latch

Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 AM

do you have top tool that comes with the car, should be in car tool kit. oil can only come from two cylinders in that area. most likely the bow cylinder, but could possibly come from the main top cylinder. should be able to see the bow cylinder by lifting the top cover hardware. it can leak down on to the main cylinder making you think that is the issue.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by brookings
do you have top tool that comes with the car, should be in car tool kit. oil can only come from two cylinders in that area. most likely the bow cylinder, but could possibly come from the main top cylinder. should be able to see the bow cylinder by lifting the top cover hardware. it can leak down on to the main cylinder making you think that is the issue.
I have the tool but when I move the latch it will not open.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:50 PM

normally all you would have to do is lift up to unlock. does take some effort to open or close. the spot to place tool is just to the outside of hinge and generally painted red. otherwise you may have to take loose the interior trunk covers to inspect what possibly is going on. those cylinders/locks are fairly easy to get at

Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 PM

normally all you would have to do is lift up to unlock. does take some effort to open or close. the spot to place tool is just to the outside of hinge and generally painted red. otherwise you may have to take loose the interior trunk covers to inspect what possibly is going on. those cylinders/locks are fairly easy to get at
What i turned was a shoe box shaped lug, it faces towards the trunk. it will turn a little, but will not open.
I looked for the red lever on the side and it is not there. I have seen pictures of the red lever on google.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:56 AM

It looks like they eliminated the back latch in the later models
I have a 98 SL500 and wanted to do the same thing
Manual also states the rear section cannot be locked during manual operation
Not sure why they would do that

Old 10-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by macdoesit
What i turned was a shoe box shaped lug, it faces towards the trunk. it will turn a little, but will not open.
I looked for the red lever on the side and it is not there. I have seen pictures of the red lever on google.
I have a 98 SL500
Looks like the later models do not have that red coloured lever
There is one there when you take off the carpeting
I tried locking the back latches like this but was not able to get it locked
The manual states that the rear cannot be locked manually
Not sure why they would do that

Old 10-24-2020, 06:00 PM

the part you attach to goes up and down doesn't turn. I wasn't aware of a design change to the top in 99. your owners manual should show you how to do it. If you don't have one, get one, they're always a good place to start. please let us know when and what you find out. seems I've heard of this once before.?????

Last edited by brookings; 10-25-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:23 PM

the part you attach to goes up and down doesn't turn. I wasn't aware of a design change to the top in 99. your owners manual should show you how to do it. If you don't have one, get one, they're always a good place to start. please let us know when and what you find out. seems I've heard once this once before.?????
Thank you, Where can I get a manual.
Sorry, I meant up and down.
I will post a picture of it, later.

Quick Reply: In a bind need help