Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

'99 500 SL bad harmonic balancer question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Default '99 500 SL bad harmonic balancer question

Just purchased the car a few months ago, car has aprox. 16k miles on it. When wifee was driving it a week ago she said at around 60 mphthe car was vibrating,I lookedunder the hood everything looked OK. This past weekend when she had the car outshe called me on thecell and gave methe bad news, loud clunking noise coming from the engine, no power steering, car overheating. I had it towed it to my local repair shop, the mechanic told me the harmonic balancer was broken.

How can a car with 16k miles have a bad harmonic balancer?

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Default RE: '99 500 SL bad harmonic balancer question

ORIGINAL: Jerseyharry

Just purchased the car a few months ago, car has aprox. 16k miles on it. When wifee was driving it a week ago she said at around 60 mphthe car was vibrating,I lookedunder the hood everything looked OK. This past weekend when she had the car outshe called me on thecell and gave methe bad news, loud clunking noise coming from the engine, no power steering, car overheating. I had it towed it to my local repair shop, the mechanic told me the harmonic balancer was broken.

How can a car with 16k miles have a bad harmonic balancer?

Jerseyharry,

To answer your question directly...bad part. MB issued a recall campaign for your car and others affected by this component failure. No point talking about what the previous owner should have done when MB issued the recall letters...what you should do is contact MBUSA at 1-800-FOR-MERC, give them your VIN#; MB will confirm your car is in the recall and whether or not the offending harmonic balancer has already been changed or needs to be under the recall. Under the terms of the recall, repairs made, for instance by your tech where the car is now, are reimbursible so keep accurate documentation.

Most or all of the questions my comments may trigger can best be answered by MBUSA-If you would prefer to learn more prior to calling, please review the following thread.

https://mercedesforum.com/m_67296/tm.htm

If you have any difficulty with this and MB, come back to the forum and I'm sure lot's of us can help.

Bob

Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Default RE: '99 500 SL bad harmonic balancer question

Thanks Bob.