Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

96sl500

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Smile 96sl500

I have owned a 96 SL500 since late 2007. It now has only 91,000 miles and I think it may be due or past due for shocks. It recently seems to be riding rough, although the tires were replaced at 69,000 in 3/09. It does not have air suspension and I live in a warm climate so it wouldn't be weather related. I notice this mostly with the front although all are the same age and none are leaking. How would I know when to replace? I love the car and drive it very little now but some every week. Less than 1000 miles this past year.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:01 PM

usually the car will feel a bit bouncy if the struts or shocks go bad. check the motor mounts to see if they look deflated. they should be rounded up at the top. check upper strut mounts for cracks. if you replace struts, replace or check the bump stops on the strut pistons. if replacing rear shocks, make sure they are specific to a 129, the part # should have a 129 in it, exact replacement. might check air pressure in your tires if you haven't already done so.

Last edited by brookings; 09-15-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Thanks for your response. Had 2 motor and 1 trans mount replaced 3/12. Had Left and Right tie rod assemblies, drag link and steering shock replaced 2/12. Car almost feels bolted to the road as every bump radiates up my spine. Little or no shock in steering wheel. Also eventhough not air suspension, front end seems to sag after being parked. Tire pressure is about 1lb below normal, looking for a softer ride. Not bouncey at all. Roughness noticed most at slow speeds.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:35 AM

are the springs ok? is the top of the strut body/cylinder against or close to the top strut mount, are the bump stops on the strut piston? they are a rubber stop that should be against the top strut mount, they keep the strut from hitting hard againt the top mount, they slip on to the piston. do the front wheels shake or shutter on a fairly rough road? you haven't went from a 16" wheel to lets say a 18"?? you wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out, a puzzler. do an online search on the cons of using lower octane gas in a high compression engine.

Last edited by brookings; 09-29-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM

Thanks again, I'll do some further checking!!

Old 05-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Default Ongoing saga of front end roughness.

I noticed small cracks in the top strut mounts (although they are shocks). I had one person suggest not serious. I saw it from the underside and the rubber is nearly cracked all the way around. I have decided to replace the mounts, shocks, bumpers (on top of the shocks) and the dust covers (cheap while having the job done). Also deciding to have the spring bumpers replaced with a slightly taller one (fits on top of the springs). Going with OEM shocks although one garage was intense in trying to sell Bilsteins. Awaiting parts. Another member wrote that the R129 is a great technologically advanced car and needs your financial support. I'm a believer.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 PM

again, make sure you use shocks that are specific to the R129, it will be stamped starting with 129 for the beginning of the part number. This is especially important for the rear. replacing the strut bump stops too is a good idea. bilsteins are very good.

Last edited by brookings; 05-11-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks again. Shocks are VIN specific. I have triple checked!!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:32 PM

New struts,mounts,strut bumpers, spring bumpers have all been replaced. Since tires were worn badly on the inside and near replacing anyway, I purchased a new set. I have an appointment to check and if necessary do an alignment. Wife saw bills and left home.
Just kidding

Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Default Ck engine light again- alignment &how to post a picture

Everything working great. Took car for an alignment and they must have thought I had fallen off the turnip truck. They suggested numerous repairs (leaking steering damper, idler arm) as problems needing to be fixed b4 a good alignment. Gave me a price that might cover college tuition. Since I don't have "play" in the wheel, vibration in the steering (just replaced damper in 2012), I'm not doing the work until I feel it is a safety issue (wandering, vibration, etc.). Oh, my check engine light came back. Indicates right frt oxygen sensor. I have had it reset twice and it seem s to stay off for 6-7 weeks and then comes back on while sitting in traffic. Not certain I will repair, it is a pretty yellow. If someone has a minute in a reply, tell me how to include a picture. Also, I need to repair the front air dam. Can it be removed separately from the bumper?

Quick Reply: 96sl500