Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

500sl Roll Bar and Softop issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Default 500sl Roll Bar and Softop issue

I recently changed right cylinder at the windshield as it was leaking and the other day, changed the left one. After installing... the softtop stalled mid cycle and after reversing it, I got the softop to close completely.
The other day I took the top down and it stalled when I put it back. The rear would not fully engage and movement was sluggish, I figured that was the air in the system trying to self bleed or something. I tried and tried to get the roof to complete cycle and lock but it would not lock at the rear and eventually stopped altogether. Roll bar was working fine, and then that stopped in the "up" position and would not go down either.

Perhaps that was the car reading a problem and engaging the roll bar as safety precaution.
Console switch was flashing as i locked the front latches manually, and could not lock the rear ones. I went to MB in Cherry Hill to lock the rear latches which they did, console light went off, and they asked me to come back to check the roll bar issue as the system should have reset.

10 hours later at $100.00 an hour, they "have determined a fault in the rear axle roll bar switch( $75.00) which will probably not correct the issue"

I told them to install switch, reset codes and not to do anything else, I will pick my car after the weekend. They did however check everything including switching out the softop computer, pressure at the pump etc-saying everything was ok and they couldn't figure it out unless they try further.

I got in the car and and reset roll bar by holding it up for 10 seconds, and BINGO..it clicked and went down- when I did this though, the rear latch popped open, and I had to close it manually through the trunk to get the console light to go out-but it stayed down.

I was putting the top down to try again, and one of the refurbished cylinders blew-perhaps that was causing the issue. Now both are brand new...

Ultimately, I know have the roll bar in the "up " position..whenever I try to put it down, it makes a ratchet sound and springs back up again, at the same time, the left rear latch pops open and the console light goes on, stopping the cycle. It only goes off when i manually lock it through the trunk.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Default RE: 500sl Roll Bar and Softop issue

Put the hard top on the car manually and failed trying to clear the codes with LED.
My car is SRS Equipped 1995 500 sl Roadster. What is the procedure for clearing the codes on this model.
Must I use OBDI scanner or take it to the dealer again to check rear latches and erase new fault codes?
When I try to reset rool bar now -the same thing happens-left rear latch pops open.