Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

~help~ hydrolic oil dripping on my seat ~

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Default ~help~ hydrolic oil dripping on my seat ~

My 96 SL320 has a hydrolic leak that is dripping from the sun visor connect area by the windshield... must be something to do with the top.
Dripping on my seat...

Anyone have any experience with this type of repair? or information as to what to do first???

Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Well OldTimer, since I spent a number of years in Ocean City/Somers Point at the beaches, boardwalk, and bars, I'll be happy to help you out.

Your assumption about the cause of the hydraulic fluid leak was absolutely correct. There are two hydraulically driven latches in the front of the top + another 10 or so hydraulic locks and latches that move the top through it's cycle.

Whether you attempt to repair this condition yourself or not, this DIY article/pix lays it out for you better than I could.

A few comments from my own experience with this....

- The hydraulic cylinders that operate the latches can be rebuilt for a fraction of the replacement cost. My rebuilder of choice who did mine is

Mercedes Hydraulic Cylinder Rebuilder
Dennis Ficken
16285 S. Chester
Olathe, Ks 66062
(913) 544-4521

mercedescylinders@sbcglobal.net

Even if only 1 side/latch is leaking, have both of them rebuilt. These cylinders fail because of heat and age, not use. Because the front latches get so much sunlight (heat), they usually go first. Unfortunately, this means that the rest of the latches will also go at some point. Talk it over with Dennis about what's right for you. Good guy to work with, honest, fast, and incredibly reasonable cost.

- Since you've already leaked out some of the fluid, and given the age of your car, it's usually a good idea to purge the system of the old fluid (at the pump in the bottom of the trunk) and replace it with new. The fluid is available from Mercede$, or from most of the online parts guys in the form of Febi-Bilstein Hydraulic Fluid, p/n 02615; same stuff, different packaging. Febi is about 1/3 less to buy, and you'll need 2 ltrs. of it. Don't do this until you replace the front cylinders.

This will get you started; if you have any other questions, just post them here. You can also use the advanced search tool in this forum (use hydraulic cylinders as the search term) if you want to read the collective wisdom about these things. Good luck, have fun-

Bob

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 09-18-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks Bob for the quick reply... I'll look this over and take it from there...

Many a good time in Ocean City myself along with Stone Harbor and North Wildwood...

Thanks again

The "Old Timer"