Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

When is a Recall not a Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Default When is a Recall not a Recall?

Hi,
Where can I get a comprehensive list (with detail definition) of USA recall campaigns for MB S Class and SLK.

I'm concerned since MBUK don't appear to take action when a recall is issued in the States, even when the failure and conditions / spec remain valid.

This appears to be a MAJOR issue!!

MB UK (not a local dealer) state that there is no Harmonic Damper recall on w112. Likewise their is no recall for the Rear Cluster / Brake Light on R170.

Any comments.

When SHOULD a recall be only TERRITORY based??

Old 03-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Default RE: When is a Recall not a Recall?

I'm sure there's more to it, but in the US the government (NHTSA) can force a car maker to issue a Safety Recall. They can't force a car maker to do the same outside the US. I doubt they even try. Also, the car maker doesn't always agree that there's a safety issue at all, in which case they won't do anymore than they legally must in each country.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM

But once the precedent is set the manufacturer is in a difficult situation.

If they don't respond to a customer with a concern thats already listed as a recall they are vulnerable...The vultures are circling.

My w112 crank pulley disintegrates. Recall in the States. In the UK they say there is no problem. Watch this space. Likewise the SLK Rear light clusters.

Stuart

Old 03-31-2006, 12:40 AM

But like I said, they may not agree there's a widespread problem. They may be forced to perform a recall in the US but if they're not forced to do so in other countries by whomever controls recalls there and they disagree that there's a widespread problem, why would they perform a worldwide recall?

It may be cheaper to pay the vultures. It depends on how much it would cost to perform a worldwide recall. Pay a few lawsuits versus pay to do a repair on every car produced that falls under the recall conditions. There's some math going into their decision, but they're not showing it to you.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 AM

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
Government site that lists all recalls, complaints, investigations, and service advisories.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 AM

I agree with your response. Everything revolves around the COST.

However, at the risk of another exchange between us I was trying to demonstrate that Europe (DTP) and the USA (NHTSA) have very different enforcement processes.

Since both of these processes must be based on RISK and CONSEQUENCE of failure, I find it interesting that the two areas of the globe can come up with such different outcomes.

Since I make the assumption RISK and CONSEQUENCE are fixed the difference I would suggest must be down to the "value of life" or the overtly litigious nature of the USA

As an example lets take the R170 (320) SLK Brake Lights.

What makes this a RECALL issue in the States when it isn't even a Fix (free) on Fail in Europe?

The consequences of an accident in Europe are arguably greater due to higher legal speed limits.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 AM

Thanks for link but I was looking for a simple comprehensive list for a make/model.
NHTSA require you go thru Year by Year, Model by Model etc. Its a bit tedious.
Maybe I haven't worked out how to get what I want in one hit.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 PM

I think you just like to read what you've typed. I can't think of another reason why you go on and on and on about a subject, never really saying anything new or remotely profound. It must be in your obnoxious nature to need the last word.

... I was trying to demonstrate that Europe (DTP) and the USA (NHTSA) have very different enforcement processes.
If you read my posts, and you don't need to read all that carefully because there are no hidden meanings, you'll realize that that is exactly what I said. Furthermore, are you asking me to justify in a detail level that you choose why that is and weigh the logic used by each country and the car maker in making a determination on whether or not to issue a safety recall? If you pay me $20K USD I'd do all that work for you. Otherwise, go away.