Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Water Pump/Radiator is there a Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Default RE: Water Pump/Radiator is there a Connection?

One concern I would have which 97dmsrS420 alluded to is all that crap that is still in the cooling passages and WP. Is there a way to flush all that crap out as to not simply flush it into the new radiator and continue to circulate it. I Have never done this but can the system be flushed without the radiator in place and get any residual scale out.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

without the radiator... yes you can.

one way is by using radiator flush/recycling machine.

our backyard and effective way is to have a good free flowing water and keep feeding on the lower radiator hose while the engine is running.

do it till the water clears. running the engine at 2000rpm and blipping the throttle once in a while.

just watch out for the temp gauge.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:15 AM

Sleepwalker,

How can I do what you are suggesting? I don't really understand. Here's where I'm confused.

I have taken the radiator out. I have completely taken off the Upper and Lower hoses from the engine. The transmission lines are disconnected naturally. I have removed the fan blade as well. So, how am I to do what you're saying?

Am I to run the water hose up through the lower hose connector and then crank the engine? It sounds scary. Tell me again, just what I should do.

As IIKings stated, I would much rather clean all the rust or scale out, than to have recirculating through a new radiator.

Thanx

Old 05-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

i know it would be difficult for you, so the easier way is just to buy a radiator flush. choose the one that can remove alkaline and corrosion inside.

warm up the engine to 80 degrees celcius and run at 2000rpm for 5 minutes.

flush twice with clean water, then refill and add coolant.

you may use the old radiator while doing the flushing to prevent contaminating the new one.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 AM

Ahh, too late, but thanks for the tips on using the old radiator. I sorta busted it up taking it out of the car. So, it is so totally toast. I did, however, install the new one and followed your instructions. At first, I didn't think that the thermostat would open, but it did, so that was a relief. Tomorrow, I will be able to determine whether or not all is well when I flush it again.

Thanks for your help. It does appear that the build-up and rust was mostly in the old radiator, where it came from, who knows. Of course I can't be for certain that it is only confined to the radiator. I'm just hoping that the flushing will do the trick and cure my ills in this area.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

so far so good.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 PM

Hey Sleepwalker,

O.k. here's the skinny. I've completed the final flushes. Put everything back together, no leaks nowhere. Everything is as it should have been. I took the car for a spirited drive, to heat up the brakes, the cats, and to check the solidity of the cooling system.

The performance was awesome! I did quite a few short bursts, and could hear the difference between the paper filters and the K&N filters that I've recently installed. My pick-up is much, much quicker, thanks to solid cooling system pressure. The temp guage works the way it is supposed to. And it appears that I have been driving the car with a compromised cooling system since I bought the car! There's just no other explanation that I can think of.

Back in February of '05, I replaced all the Cats, but now I smell them. I'm a little baffled about that, what is it? Could it be from the spirited short bursts? Or, could it be from the right pressures, and all things working properly whereas the beads are getting good n heated? Or, could it be O2 sensor? No Check Engine Light. Just that smell of something electric and rotten egg smellish.

I would appreciate your comment on this matter! Otherwise, I believe everything is good to go, for now!

Many thanks to you.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Just that smell of something electric and rotten egg smellish
maybe some high content of sulfur or somethin' on the fuel.

it's been disussed here before already.

try different fuel.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM

So as to end this lengthy thread, let me say thanks for all of the advice and input that has been given and shared. And yes, Sleepwalker, I did find the thread on the smell, which also helped me to understand what may be going on, and I will govern myself accordingly.

So, again, thank you all for your posts on this matter, it has been a great help to me as an extended learning apparatus. This is truly a worthwhile forum.

I have recommended it to my other Benz Friends, who appreciate their Automobiles. And I hope they take advantage of it, because it would definitely saved them time, aggravation, and yes, money! As well as to offer their experiences so that others may receive the same benefit.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator