Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

The W126 bad rap. Fact or fiction.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default The W126 bad rap. Fact or fiction.

I think the Mercedes S-class W126 has a bad rap for requiring far more money for parts than normal cars. For an example, since I did order just about every part I need for a general front end rebuild for the 88 420SEL, I decided to compare prices, to see would it be any great difference if I was doign the same work on some more common cars, of that era, the famed Lexus and Toyota, and even a Focus. First off the base price for all the parts I ordered was $488. I could of got a better deal on some parts but decided to order from a spot I could get all the parts at one place, and for a decent price. (make sure you have time to read as this might be a wall of text.) And keep in mind that labor is usually about the same per hour regardless of whre you go even + or - an hour or two or + or - $150 is about the same variation of labor rates depending on states and shops anyways so it was not even factored in since it varies too much and would require a few more thousand words. Courtesy of PartsBin
Parts ordered for the MBZ 420SEL Front end.
Control arm left and right
2 lower ball joints
2 guide rod mount kits (one for each side)
Tie rod assembly left
Tie rod assembly right
Steering damper
2 Wheel bearing kits. One for each side.

The 1988 Caprice. A normal American car of similar size and bit lower on the totem pole. 1985-1995 roads was crawling with caprices. Total price $431.52. The most exspensive brands was not chosen either.
Parts missing in this calculations for the Caprice is the Guide rod mount kits (dont thin kthe suspension came with that part) and steering damper. Only tie rod ends was basketed instead of the whole tie rod. Total raw difference: $57 Caprice's way.

The most common Honda of them all, that blasted 1995 honda civic
Lets see who this one add ups. Same store same parts. The civic is also missing the guide rod mount kit, and only tie rod ends where avail. And no steering damper I think maybe the guide rod mount is called something else on ther cars. But the grand totol is $384. $100 difference.

Now for the infamous or famous of the most boring in the world. The one that make you want to yawn just looking at it, the most famous and numerous Toyota Camry. One from the 1988 time period.
For the 1988 Camry and of course missing the guide rod mounts, steering damper, and only with tie rod ends basketed, the total is $446. A "whopping!!" $35 difference. "Oh the agony!!!"

For a 2000 Focus. Throw a rock at one and the rock will run away from the reeking smell of cheapness. But without upper control arms and guide rod mount kit, your total is a low price of $229 a significant $259 difference.

And last is the all too common 2006 Impala. $442 missing again the guide rod mount. $46 dollar difference.

I did compare other makes and models of "normal" cars versus the infamous exspenive W126 of 1988 420SEL. As you can see, most of the time yes the Mercedes was a little more exspensive but bsides the civic and focus, there was not much significant difference and this is given that the Civic nor the Focus in anywhere in the league of any Mercedes whether the benz is a rust bucket with grass growing over it or the S65. And out of all you get out of a Mercedes even one that is this old is imo worth that extra 46 dollars is worth that 35 dollars and is worth $3,000 more if it keeps me out of that blasted focus which i wouldnt spend two nickels on buying. a

Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

lol. I know. But since there so many people comparing apples to prunes and pickles especially on the Lexus/Toyota forums, I thought "allright lets actually compare these apples to prunes and pickles or Wine to grape juice and flavor-aid. I rather spend more on a good apple or a good wine than a prune anyday but when I'm in the mood for a pickle I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that since I'm buying a pickle I'm getting a way better value even though i'm really only a few cents short of a good apple or a good wine.