Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Starter removal-please respond.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default Starter removal-please respond.

Alright new starter motor is on the way.
Took a look at the starter that is on there, located the two bolts and cased the surroundign areas. The top bolt is probably going to be a blind removal (aka gotta go by feel) and looks like the only way to get to it is with extensions along the side of the transmission. The bottom bolt looks simple.

From what I can see, looks like the tranny crossmember might have to be removed for room to get to it. Looks like the steering hardware can be moved enough by turning the wheels to barely fit the starter through. SInce I can reach up and grab all around the starter with a good grip looks like once it is past the hard ware, it should be easy pickings, except the top bolt but since I can feel it, I can hand tighten it.

Now the question is, and please dont be afraid to respond, is has anyone done this job before and have words of enlightenment. A repair book can say one thing and always make it sounds like a piece of cake but words from someone who ACTUALLY done it is priceless.
The part should be here by Friday so I'll be looking out for words of enlightenment till then. If no response, I guess I'll figure it out on my own as usual.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM

not sure what car you're doing the starter on but sometimes going from the top of the engine is an option for the top bolt. ive literally sit on top of the engine and access bolt from there.
also yes from the bottom of the car with a long extension and a swivel socket works. sometimes dropping the rear trans cross member to lower the back of the trans will help to access the top bolt.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

w126 420sel

Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

well thanks for the reply Chassis221.

When you replaced the starter on the w126 v8, any crazy things you ran into during the job? I didnt think you could get to the bolt fro mthe top but now that you mention it I could see the spark plug wires from under the car where the starter is located but there dont seem to be enough room to get a tool to it without removing the exhaust manifolds.

I know the W126 well but if I was to buy another newer Mercedes and get stuck, then on here sometimes I feel like I'd be SOL. Very rare someone actually responds to my posts. Guess it's about time for me to leave and move on to another brand where more info is available.

I greatly appreciate the response.