Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S500 W220 Oil Change Procedure and Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Default S500 W220 Oil Change Procedure and Question

Changed my oil and filter in my 2000 S500 a few weeks ago, and the procedure is fairly simple. With Mobil 1 Oil and filter, it cost about $55. There is an oil filter wrench available at AutZone called a Type "B" that fits the S500's oil housing cap perfectly! However, I am wondering if someone knows anything about the two different types of filters I found for this car. One I bought of of ebay, and the other from AutoZone. They both have the same dimensions, but the ends of the filters are different (see picture below). Anybody out there know why? I am thinking they changed the filter to a different style somewhere along the way. Although I assume either one works.

The procedure - takes about 20 minutes.

1) Remove four screws that hold on the plastic covers below the engine, near the center, locate the oil drain plug, remove it, and drain the oil. You need a pretty big container, as you will drain about 8 or 9 quartz. I did all this without lifting the front end. A little tight underneath, but manageable.

2) The filter is located in a housing accessible under the hood, near the front of the engine. I used the Autozone wrench mentioned above to remove the plastic cap that is threaded on to the housing. It is the type that you use with a socket wrench.

3) When you pull the cap off, you will see that the cap is actually an assembly which includes a center peice, and the filter will come out with the assembly (see picture below). You need to pull the filter off of the assembly. There are a series of o-rings which should have come with your filter kit, four if I remember correctly. These all need to go on that plastic assembly at the various location (of course, after removing the old ones). Push the new filter onto the assembly, all the way as far as it will go. Then put the assembly with the new filter back on, threading it and then tightening it with your wrench. It should be snug, but don't bear down on it too hard. If it is snug, the o-rings will do their job of sealing everything.

4) Now that the oil is drained, put the plug back in (use new washer if kit came with one), and button up the bottom panels.

5) Put oil in. I used Mobil 1 synthetic. If I remember correctly, it used about 8.5 quarts. I kept adding until I could get the oil on the dipstick to the full level. Do not overfill!! Also, the filter will abosorb a little oil, so check it again after you have run your engine.

I enjoy doing this myself - save money, time, and you'll know it was done right!

Good luck. (Let me know if I missed anything, for those who have also done their own oil changes.)

[IMG]local://upfiles/13006/AF4C4A40A24C494496492B470FBB2E1A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Default RE: S500 W220 Oil Change Procedure and Question

thanks for the write up, since i still have to replace oil in mine[:@]

Old 07-17-2006, 08:51 PM

I did my 2000 S430 last month and it was a breeze. I am shocked that AZO had a filter. I would steer clear of STP, Fram, and other mundane brands. I got a MANN German filter from a forum sponsor Autohause Arizona for around $15.

I would only add: Consider a Fumoto drain valve, makes the future drain an easy flick of the fingers to release the lock. No more crush washers, stripped threads from idiot service people (happened to my 300E), or drain bolts falling out (happened to wifey). I now do virtually ALL service on my cars. If you want it done right...

Old 07-17-2006, 09:09 PM

As an update to my post above, someone from another forum pointed out that Mercedes recommends the fleece oil filters, and not the paper style that are in my pictures, especially when you are using synthetic oil and trying to get over 5,000 between oil changes. My reading on various forums leads me to believe that the paper ones are OK if you are changing your oil at least every 5,000 miles.

Next time I'll use the fleece style (buy 5 for $65 on eBay), and I'll try to extend my service interval to the full 10K miles or so.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 AM

I don't know the name of my filter but it does not look anything like what you have. As you know MB has no specific oil change interval, the monitor is supposed to let you know when to change 12K-18K which is insane. I plan to change in April and October which works out to 4,500 miles for me. I selected these months largely to get it done in good weather (temperature). I checked my records and my air filter is Mann, this filter is from the MB dealer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1570/5C95875B55EB4A0DBE63529DD567BAF5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: II Kings 9:20

I don't know the name of my filter but it does not look anything like what you have. As you know MB has no specific oil change interval, the monitor is supposed to let you know when to change 12K-a8K which is insane. I plan to change in April and October which works out to 4,500 miles for me. I selected these months largely to get it done in good weather (temperature). I checked my records and my air filter is Mann, this filter is from the MB dealer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1570/5C95875B55EB4A0DBE63529DD567BAF5.jpg[/IMG]
Yes, that is the fleece filter you are holding, and that is the one that is recommended, not the ones in my picture. The ones in my picture were originally used, but have been superceded by the fleece ones.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:03 AM

how is the fleece filter better????
Thanks

Old 07-18-2006, 02:13 AM

I am not exactly sure, but it is recommended by Mercedes and would be the type you would get if you buy one at the dealership. My guess is that it has the ability to trap more contamination, and therefore is capable of handling the longer period between oil changes. Maybe it also has superior filtration, but not sure.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: treiberg

I am not exactly sure, but it is recommended by Mercedes and would be the type you would get if you buy one at the dealership. My guess is that it has the ability to trap more contamination, and therefore is capable of handling the longer period between oil changes. Maybe it also has superior filtration, but not sure.
From what I understand all of that is correct. This is one area not to deviate from factory spec, there is no point to saving a few $$ on an adequate filter when something superior is available. Kind of like synthetic vs non synthetic oil.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 PM

Thank you guys for information, how to change oil. Very helpfull

Quick Reply: S500 W220 Oil Change Procedure and Question