Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S430 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007 | 08:07 PM
Default S430 headlights

How do you change the low beam headlight on my 2000 Mercedes S430? Operating manual illustration does not seem to show the headlights properly. Intermittant headlight Rwarning on dash readout?

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:53 AM
Default RE: S430 headlights

So, the problem isthe low beam onthe right side.You mention"intermittent."Does that mean that the message shows up intermittently or the message reads "intermittent." If it reads that, I've never heard that one. Normally the message stays on all thetime if a bulb is out. Anyway...On the 2001 there is a plastic guard behind the lights. Grab the tab at the top and wiggle the plastic case and pull up and to the rear just a little. It should pull out. You will be able to see the rear of the bulbs. You're right, the picture in the manual doesn't show the exact look that you see. All you have to know from the picture is whether the low beam is toward the center of the car or toward the outside. I can't remember and I just changed one 2 weeks ago:-) The bulbs are held in with spring clips...a pain in the butt. Hopefully with this info you can change it.
mark

Old 04-30-2007 | 03:16 AM

Hi,
Why do you conclude Low Beam? You don't state that this is what the warning message states? You just state that message refers to RHS.
I also concur previous posters comment re intermittent.

Are your headlamps Halogen or Xenon?

Xenon use high voltage and are not strictly user serviceable. Assuming Halogen then likely just the bulb connector corrosion (remove from back of bulb and refit) as previous post.

However it could also be many other things. Next most likely is the earth point for this unit. Brown wires to Body/ Earth. Need to search location to find this earthing point. Likely there is one adjacent to the suspension tower but there could be another nearer to the headlamp unit.

Stuart

Old 04-30-2007 | 04:01 PM

Thanks coolvt and snanceki

Yourinstructions coolvtpointed me in the right direction. The diagram in the operating manual is correct but they could have described it better, like saying to remove REAR headlight cover. Room behind the right unit is very tight, had to loosen the two screws that hold the complete headlamp assembly to increase the wiggle factor for removal of that rear cover.

The dash warning is intermittant and it is for the low beam R. The xenon bulb is working. Yes, my guess was that the connections, particularily the ground was approaching weak I removed the connector on the bulb and applied a little electrical conductive grease to both the positive and negative contacts. Will see if that cures the readout. If not will have to look for that ground to the frame.