Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

S 430 lit like a Chrismas tree

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Default S 430 lit like a Chrismas tree

I had this car for 2 years and it has been a great experience. Couple of months ago, "check the engine light" came on, famous bank1 and bank2 related to MAF sensor. I am still dealing with that issue, but 2 days ago I got 4 new messages: ABS light, BAS(brake assistance-visit shop), ESP electronic stability program (visit workshop),and Airmatic suspension message.
There is nothing wrong with the car, brake pads were replaced recently, alternator brushes, battery was measured today-was good, suspension works as it should.
Does anyone had this bunch of messages and possibly figured out what is causing it.
Thanks in advance: Dan

Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Default RE: S 430 lit like a Chrismas tree

could be the stop lamp switch. i am just not sure if it will set an airmatic light on the cluster. also try turning your steering wheel from lock to lock to reset the steering angle sensor.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Thanks,
where is this switch located-under the brake pedal? How do i know if it doesn't work?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM

My view is that the Airmatic ride height is wrong for some reason.
I hadn't appreciated that C Class had Airmatic but I go on your data.
Usual Airmatic problems are due to line / strut leak or faulty pump. Strut leak is bad news (expensive)!

ABS, ESP, BAS etc are all automatically inhibited (Safety feature) if the ride height is wrong since if the ride height is wrong the effects of the relevant systems MAY NOT give the desired result.

Stuart

Old 09-17-2007, 02:56 PM

This is S class, not C.
So, what shall I do in your opinion?
Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 06:05 PM

I tried to turn wheel to lock, but it can't lock. I must be doing something wrong.Sombody told me aslo that steering wheel angle sensor needs to be replaced.Any thoughts?
Thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 AM

Hi. Not sure why I thought it was a C class. So I was correct my response re C not having Airmatic!

My diagnosis remains valid.

Try this: After starting the car go for a short drive at LOW speed or even just leave the car to idle for several minutes. Then restart. Do the faults clear?

If so it is a slow leak in the Airmatic. Search to find other posts on this topic (Airmatic leak)

If the lights remain on it is LIKELY the airmatic pump isn't working. There is a fuse in the engine compartment electronic boxes (X2) near firewall. Alternatively your vehicle MAY need a new/refirb pump.

wrt to steering sensor (this would not illuminate all the lights you have showing) however simply turn the steering wheel fromfull LH lock to full RH lock and back with engine running. The resets the sensor. By lock to lock I mean turn the steering wheel from fully left turn to fully right turn and back. Nothing to do with the security devise. OK?

If the fuse is OK then I suggest you get the body electric fault codes read at an MB dealer on STAR diagnostics. Get a print out and advise what codes are showing.
Some non MB garages have suitable equipment but not all. Ensure you get a print out which includes the vehicle details and faults so that you are not being taken for a ride.
These codes are different to the usual engine OBD codes that can be read by DIY scanner / any garage scanner.

Advise outcome.

Stuart

Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 PM

when this happened on my 2000 e320 it was the brake light switch. i think it was under $25 to replace my self..

Old 10-30-2007, 01:49 AM

So what happened?

I suspect the faults cleared themselves and you have decided to leave things unattended to.

Low Ride Height is common after leaving the vehicle for a few days but so long as the leak is small (small leaks are within spec and the reason why the system has a pump) but you reach a point where the pump cannot keep up with the leak and this potentially wears the pump out whilst also illuminating a load of warning lights.

Usual leak point is the top of the struts but pump one way valves and other causes exist.

Stuart

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 PM

It is still going on. Apparently it is ABS pump assembly. trying to get used one but I don't know if they are vin sensitive.

Quick Reply: S 430 lit like a Chrismas tree