Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Reset abs light in '88 SEL ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Default Reset abs light in '88 SEL ?

Anyone know how to reset the ABS light in a '88 420 SEL ? I am sure I just have to short 2 pins together but which pins > Tried disconnecting battery for 10 min but no luck.

Have seen posts about low voltage causing ABS light to stay on. How do I check and fix it ?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Default FIXED abs light in '88 SEL !

EAsy fix if the system has no defect. The low voltage condition was due to terminals not making proper contact.To fix iot, follow these steps :

1) DISCONNECT THE BATTERY !!! If you don't there is a decent chance that the connection could arc as you follow the procedure below. If it arcs, it could go off in your face.

2) AFTER the battery is disconnected, use a small flat-blade screwdriver to loosen the 2 screws on the back side of the steering wheel. They are recessed in 2 little holes. They likely will not come out all of the way. As you loosen them you will see the airbag module loosen and rise from the wheel a little.

3) Once both screws are loose, GENTLY remove the airbag module. There will be a wire going into the center of the metal backing to the airbag module. This is a 2 strand wire with pins inside the connector so do NOT twist it as you could break the pins.

4) Gently but firmly pull the red connector straight out. There are 2 male-female connections inside the larger connection. If these get any corrosion or film over them it reduces the voltage. Simply push the connector on and off the pins a few times and it will wear away the film of invisible corrosion.

5) Installation is the EXACT reverse. Reconnection of the battery should be the very last step.

I figured this out by reading the posts on this forum as to the causes of the SRS system light being on, then getting out there and trying to diagnose and fix it. It took me all of 15 minutes and POOF no more airbag/ SRS light Q!

Old 04-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Default RE: FIXED abs light in '88 SEL !

Is your car having idle problems? A bad Overvoltage Protection Relay will cause that light to come on as well.