Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Quality: 560sel v. s500 class etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:04 AM
Default RE: Quality: 560sel v. s500 class etc.

Lindy,

You may not realize this and I know cheesewiz doesn't. An online forum or a Mercedes car club is not the place to ask a question such as yours. The answer you get will be terribly skewed and mangled with opinion.

For example, someone reports a problem with an S-class power seat. Within a week 20 people from around the world say, "I have the same problem." This problem is the point of discussion for a month and eventually 40 people from around the world report this same problem. People like cheesewiz pick up on this and decide there's an inherent problem with S-class power seats. They spread the "word" like a bearer of doom wherever they go. It makes them feel important. I've seen the same thing happen in many other forums. 40 problems worldwide is statistically meaningless but when you concentrate them in one forum it seems like a trend. In fact, it doesn't take anywhere near 40 people to start one of these "trends."

Listen to his bubblings and give them weight if you want. But remember, they're just his opinion about his encounters with one car and a car club. Your original question asked for reliability information between two cars. All you got was someone's "humble opinion" about a test drive he took and how much it would cost to fix something that has a one-in-a-squillion chance of happening. Then later about how much he spends on his C280 and stuff he's heard at a car club. If that's the reliability data you were after, fine. Go with it.

Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 PM

I think there is truth to what you say. Opinions are just that. My attempt has been to educate myself and to seek others knowledge in my long time pursuit (dream)of a MB. In doing so I have had the task to sift through this information. Then come to a conclusion of the cost of upkeep and quality of this auto. That's why I say there is a great truth to what you say. Example: MB and many others say the timing chain etc. needs/should be changed around 80-100k. I talked with a fella who owns an upper MB restoration Co. He says in the 560's he seldom sees the chain go out. Prevenative Maintainance to do? or does one take the chance? Who's opinion is correct. There must be a right anwser. Plus over the forums and sites I have visited I get find the same story on many mechnaical parts with same senario. How deep to the pockets go. It would be great if there were more examples of this car to see and experience where I live.

But I can say, I have certainly learned.

Best regards,

Lindy

Old 07-21-2004, 06:53 PM

What you will have to do is physically compare the two cars through test drives and vigorous quality checks. I personally own an s500 and a 1986 560sel. The paint on the s500 is immaculate. I have never seen paint like it before although the new lexus ls430 is not far behind. the 560sel is much simpler than the s500, but still highly advanced as you would think because the models are 6 years apart. i think the 92-99 sclass mercedes is the best mercedes ever built. it does not have as much chrome as the 560. Also my 560 is rusty as hell around the wheel wells, my 500 is starting to rust too. I find it odd that the flagship rusts and I have never seen a rusty 300e, or e320, or even 190e. Does anyone know why, just curious. If youre looking for a car to feel guilty sitting in because it is extremely luxurious, your car is the s500. If your looking for a solid luxurious, old school german luxury sedan your car is the 560sel

Old 08-09-2004, 09:03 PM

I'll try and give a hand, or my opinion rather;-) I own 3 126 560's...love the cars. I sell MB parts all day and run a shop in the evenings/weekends. I also own a 96 S600, which is a nightmare to work on, and expensive as.... to buy parts no matter how you work it.

From an overall reliabilty stand point, I would recomend a later 126 (6/89 and up) You get the benifit of the majority of the TSB's that were released, as well as the nicer interior/better stereo etc..
The 126's are easy to work on, reasonably cheap to fix as far as MB's go.. The problems they have are well documented, and 9.9 X out of 10 are fairly easy to track down.

On these later S class, namely the 140's you have some Major Costly known issues.. The AC is a Huge culprit on all the 92-95's and some early 96's. As well as wiring harnesses, they are notorious for cooking them in about 100K (can't begin to remember how many of these I've sold in the last year...!) Also, when little black boxes go bad (and they often do..) it's a bloody fortune, and the rebuilders really haven't begun to support this car like they do the 126, making your choice new or used..neither of which is terribly appealing..

Also, these cars are known to have trans issues, going through about mid 96 (the early 5 spd's can be fussy).. SO Really, if you are going to look at a 140, don't start until 97 to be safe.

The biggest issues you will find w/ the 126's are timing chains every 100K, heads every 175-210K miles (highly dependant on driving conditions, ie city vs highway miles) and rear accumulators every 100K. The chain can be done for a little under 300 in parts and a few hours labour. Heads can be pricey, but parts (including machine work) should run you in the 8-900 range for Everything...labour is a little on the heavy side though..
Accumulators are about 75 a piece, and 45 minutes a side will cover you taking your time.

Hope this helps a Little!

Best,
jonathan

Old 08-10-2004, 01:12 AM

Jonathan,

I've been busy and just got back to the forum. Thank you for taking the time to write about the 560's etc. You own three...wow. That's neat. I am looking for just 1 When you have the time and if you would like - send an email my way and let me know what you love about your 560's. I'd like to hear from someone who has really driven and had experience with them.

Thanks Again,

Lindy

Old 08-18-2004, 01:31 AM

Lindy,
If you buy the s500 YOU WILL spend $2000 or more on the a/c if you own it for 2-3 years. This is a given. They also have cable regulators that are crap as well as multiple multiple multiple problems with sensors, throttle body/idle control,seat gears as well as computer mishaps and other items.
If you buy a 560 you will have alot less maintainance due to the more durable and simpler construction of things.
If you want to know HOW i know this, its because i have lots of them. I have hundreds of them. I deal with these cars monday-friday 8:00-5:00. I live and breath everyone's problems with these cars all day long. I am not a repair shop, i am a junkyard. I dont deal with a couple of retail customers a day, i deal with all the repair shops, 50-60 per day and all their problems.
If you want a nice car and are not worried about inherent problems, the s500 drives nicer and is quieter than the 560.
Im my opinion, the 560 overall is a real mercedes and very hard to beat.
-Jim-