Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Quality: 560sel v. s500 class etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Default Quality: 560sel v. s500 class etc.

Between the 560 sel and s500 class cars, which is of better quality? I have heard the 560s/126s are the last of the truly classic-quality MB has put out. Is this true?

Thanks to all who answer.

Lindy

Old 07-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Default RE: Quality: 560sel v. s500 class etc.

IMHO the 94, 95 S500 are the best cars Mercedes made in the 90's I am looking at a 95 for my wife, it is clean and has 85K miles, the carfax was fine. But the only reason not to buy one is the expense of fixing it if something goes wrong. My service adviser at my dealership told me the AC system is almost completely installed under the dash, except for the condensor and a few other parts. The cost to R&R the dash is $2K to $2.5K and another $3K if the whole system under the dash needs to be replaced. this does not count for the rear AC that's a another coupe ofcouple $k to R&R. I am going to test drive the S I am looking at again, this time on a highway test for a hour or two and lot it is on will let me take it to my dealer for a check, $200 well spent.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Boy, that's a mighty odd example unless absolutely every single component in nearly every AC system manufactured for every '94 and '95 S500 is totally failing as we type. At $3K it wouldn't even make this the most expensive item to repair.

I suppose it would also be expensive to fix if it got shot by a cannon or hurled by a trebuchet?

Old 07-15-2004, 01:48 PM

Your a real smart *** aren't you. I was pointing out what a repair of the AC WOULD COST IF NEEDED. I don't find it particularly odd. and yes just one component replaced wouldn't cost that much, but as my service advisor told me, to change most parts of the system the dash as to come out $2K for that job itself.

I am not going to respond to your last sentence as I see you probably lack an education, or just a smart *** kid who shouldn't own a Mercedes, as your type give this wonderful car a bad name. You should be careful what you say to someone you don't know. I am a retired from the company.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:36 PM

Still, does anyone have opinions between the two?

Something else. As I am attempting to learn about MB's .. and still hoping to buy the "right one"; I keep hearing "NOT how maintainence free they are, but rather how owners are repairing them continuously."

It appears once MBs come to 100k the owner is going to keep sinking lots of dollars into their car? Is this accurate???

Thanks

Lindy

Old 07-15-2004, 03:13 PM

Lindy< I can't really comment about that, I usually don't keep a car that long, however the Mercedes I own now might be a keeper as they say. I belong to the Mercedes Benz Club of America, which is probably a better forum for what you are looking for. I know there are a lot of members who have Mercedes cars with over 200K miles on them and they won't part with them. But as with anything mechanical, things wear out or break, so there is a certain cost of maintenance involved with any car you buy. I picked a 99 C280 as my new ride, as I am partially handicapped from a back operation and one of the main reason I choose this car was the comfort of the seats, I test drove a a half dozen plus cars, both import and American and this Mercedes had seats I could actually sit for an hour or so and not be in pain. As far as the choice of cars, everyone has their own favorites, as I said I am seriously thinking of replacing my spouses 1994 Audi 100 S with 104K miles on it. We bought this car in 95 as a demo, since then her total repair bills is a bit over $4900.00 and $2500.00 of that came about within the last six months as a number of seals need replacement and a switch on the tranny was replaced and a few other things, but before that at 60K miles a $500 service was performed.The balance is oil changes, and a part here and there, I didn't count the two sets of tires she replaced since she owns the car or the battery, the original battery lasted over 9 years and a replacement was $70.00 so perhaps the $4900 is low and $6000 is a better guess. So I feel the Audi doesn't owe us anything. She wants to keep the car, but why I want to sell it is that value now is around $7K to $8K and will only go down, so if I look at the value of the car and the possible cost of future repairs, using $4900 as a base over 100K miles the value of the car could drop to a low of $2000. Personnally if I can convince her to get another car I am going for a S500, again model year 94 to 95. Have you driven either of the models your interested in? if you did which one did you like? Most of all keep in mind the cost of repairs are very high in these particular models To be truthfull with you when I bought my C280 it was still under new car warranty and Starmarked and I bought an additional year of Starmark, knowing I will not hit 100K miles by 7.2005. So far I have had two batteries, one MAS, 1 O2 sensor replaced and had to have the wheels repainted as they original wheels clearcoat was peeling, $250.00 for the repaint and sealing, I also have two rust spots which I have have fixed, since the late 90's Mercedes has used a water based paint for EPA regs. So if you look what I have spent on a 99 with 43K plus miles and what the cost of my wife Audi has been over the past 9 years, she is ahead of me in savings on repairs.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:36 PM

Hi Allen,

I have driven the 560s. But I have not driven the 500s. What I believe to be true is this. The s500 have a great deal more electronics in them and are a much more compicated car to work on. Therefore can be more expensive to fix. The 560's are more simple. I have heard they are best MB has put out over the last 20 years. I have to tell you I just spoke with a fella who knows his stuff and said I should stay away from the 94-95's 500. They tend to have more mechanical problems then the later models - say 97-98's. Plus he said the electrical is getting older in those cars and will malfunction more just because of their age. They will be very costly to repair.

I liked the 560. I am use to the American ride and the 560 is much different. But a difference I think I will learn to like a great deal. It is very hard to find a quality 560, at least it has been for me, that will not cost a handsome sum. Age is simply a factor too in the repair cost.

Good luck on finding your car.

Lindy

Old 07-15-2004, 05:31 PM

I am a smartass because I want to be. You're a dumbass and you don't know it. All you ever do is offer your opinion as though it's useful somehow. You don't really know anything.

I know what you were trying to do with the example. Like I said, it's a stupid example. Think of a better one, that's all. You can do it. You're "a retired from the company." Lindy is asking about the reliability of two cars and you start ranting about the cost to R&R the dash because of a 100% failure of the AC system. And in later posts you go on and on about throwing money at your C280. How does any of that help Lindy choose an 560SEL over an S500?

What did you do for the "company?" Sweep the floors?

And the contraction of you are is you're, not "your."

Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 AM

Allan, Thanks for the advice on the other forum. I will look into it. Maybe I'll see you there. Interesting on your two cars. Thanks for the comments. I wonder how the handeling compares between the 560 and 500's. Hmmm?

Lindy

Old 07-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

[/quote]
to change most parts of the system the dash as to come out $2K for that job itself
i am earning a meager $1.5k a month, and the price of labor there for a 1 day job really surprises me.

now i am thinking of going to US to try my luck.

Quick Reply: Quality: 560sel v. s500 class etc.