Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

noise in trunck of s 430???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 03:56 AM
Default noise in trunck of s 430???

Hello all,
i have had my 2002 s 430 about a month now an just love it.......i saw a post from a lady about noise int the trunk like someone is locked in there and wants out, i have heard that same noise and i am wondering if this problem was solved.

Thanks so much,Dan

Old 11-27-2005, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: noise in trunck of s 430???

that must be her husband who was cheating on her.

welcome to the forum dan.

try to empty the trunk and test drive again. your's can be a different case.pay attention to suspension noises on rough road. it can be shock absorber too.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:41 AM

I have the same problem with mine. There is a cluncking noise coming from the trunk area right? Well I decided to get in the trunk and have my wife drive around so I could find the noise. I narrowed it down to my drivers side wheel. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed there is a noise but after 2 hours($200) they couldn't figure it out. They then said that if I brought it back sometime they would keep searching. Well as you can imagine I told them they were crazy!!! If they couldn't find it the first time I will not give them any more of my cash. Sorry I couldn't be any help but if I find the problem I will let you know.

Old 11-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well it's obvious that something is loose but the question is what? From my experience from what I've seen, it is usually something simple and inexpensive such as a loose suspension piece or just lsomething loose in the trunk and I find it absurd to be charged $200 for a "professional" mechanic to look at something and not find anything. Then had the nerve to say to bring it back so they can keep searching?

And in one case it was the that the rear glass came out of place and was causing the noise.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 PM

try seeing if the the link pins that attatch the rear sway bar to the spindles are loose that could cause a noise

Old 12-04-2005, 02:42 PM

i am not saying your car has the following problem, but i just want you to know that this could happen.

sometimes, there is nothing loose or wrong with the car, and yet you may hear VSR (vibration, squeaks, and rattle) due to harmonic resonance. for example, certain vibration might appear at one particular RPM.

this sort of thing differs from vehicle to vehicle because they all have unique body structure that reacts to different frequencies.

for example....the exhaust manifold area of honda civics and accords vibrates and resonates at or around 2000 rpm. trying to fix it will cause you thousands of dollars and will yield no result.

another example. when my millennia S was new, it had no vibration. as it aged, the medical kit box between two rear speakers started to vibrate. it took me months to figure out what was causing it. i checked everywhere. nothing was loose nor broken.

after 50k, i replaced the michelin tires. the vibration went away.

i wonder...how much money the dealer would have sucked out of me had i taken the car to the dealership.

Lesson. Sometimes, forgive the minor VSR of a car, and you live richly both mentally and financially.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:38 PM

Husband cheating=FUNNY??[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Never found the problem just decided to live with it...Car doesnt do it enough to send it to the Mercedes dealership to explore.