Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

New S Class Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Default New S Class Purchase

Hello all,

New Forum Member, here...

I am in the market for an S Class and came across the following, I would appreciate some words of wisdom.

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S430 - $27,500

Third owner, xcellent condition, fully loaded, serviced exclusively at MB dealers, maintenance records, excellent exterior/interior with 56k miles.

I will be using this car as a daily driver in the Boston area and will of course have a pre-purchase inspection done at a MB dealer.

My question is, are there any issues/concerns for this car that I should be aware of? How about the pricing?

Thank you in advance!!

Dennizxxx

Old 05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Default RE: New S Class Purchase

Hi Denniz,

Welcome to the forum. I purchased 2001 S500 3 weeks ago with 39000Miles on it. 1 owner. It has command, sat nav, tv, parktronic, lingtronic etc etc.

I'm having a problem with the cooling fan but it's slowly sorting itself out. (thanks sleepwalker)

To summarize. The S class series are fantastic and despite the problem with the cooling fan, I love the car. The engineering and design of the s class mercedes is just fantastic. Compared to vehicles offered by GM and Ford, the mercedes vehicles are simply incredible.

This is the first mercedes I've owned. I've previously purchased GM and Nissan cars. The mercedes leaves all of them for dead. The S class is the smoothest, most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. The engineering is superb.

They are very complicated and there are many modules that can go wrong, however when you buy a 2nd hand car you are always going to run risks of mechanical failure somewhere, regardless of whether it is a FORD, GM or other.

I'm very happy with my S class. It is without a doubt, the best car I have ever purchased.

I hope this helps

Regards
A.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM

aazapf

thanks! for the quick response.

HOw is the S430 as a daily driver in the winter, do you ( or anyone else on this forum) have experience with that.

My other car is a Boxster, which will be soley used in summers and weekends, but I will need to rely on the S430 in the winter, how is the RWD in the winter?

Dennizxxx

Old 06-01-2006, 06:00 PM

All first year models have most issues. Make sure all knowns are inspected and corrected. Good luck on your purchase!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:19 AM

It all depends denn, how many miles? The service history is great which is worth some extra $$$. My 2000 S430 with 73.5K was $22.9 with records only up to 50K and the only option is the very dated Motorola Star Tac that interfaces with the Nav/Radio. It is a fabuous ride, not as fast as my 300C but way more elegant and a superb ride. As I have only had mine a month I can't comment on this particular model in the snow. My buddy who bought his in 2000 (just bought an 07 S550) says it's "not great" in the snow. I have owned several RWD MB and BMWs and snow tires make a huge difference. I live in the snow belt, if you do, plan to invest in a good set of snow tires (Blizzak, Arctic Alpin, Guardex, to name a few) and you will motor on with the best of the AWD vehicles out there. I have in the past and fully expect to with this model.