Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

My fuse for Air suspension keeps blowing after a few days

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Default My fuse for Air suspension keeps blowing after a few days

I recently bought a 2000 S430 with 70k mileage.. no accident. I bought it with an air suspension problem ie, the car was so low that the car gives a warning saying "Stop Car. Car too low". something along those lines..

I fixed the problem for $700. The repair shop got a replacement air suspension and a mechanic fixed the problem. A week later, the fuse got burnt, and the car lowered again. I took it back, the mechanic simply replaced the fuse and the car got higher again. Since then it seems every 4 days or so, the fuse keeps blowing.
The mechanic's only suggestion is I shouldn't ride over bumpy roads or surfaces, but I've actually been quite careful about riding on bumpy surfaces,
Any thoughts???????????

Old 10-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Default Quite simple

The air suspension have always been a matter of many probs.

The first you have to get your "mechanic" to check, is how much current your pneumatic pump draws. If it draws to much, its faulty and need replacement.

If the suspension lowers over time, after parking the car, it could be an faulty air suspension damper. Check for leaks with soap water on top of each damper. Bubles= leak = compressor have to work to much while driving = overheats = draws to much amps = defective fuse..

An further more seen fault, is the hole sam relay, which can be defetive. You have to unmount the fuse panel (sam relay), to visual inspect the back side of pannel for any kind of meltet areas (+40A current = a lot of heat).

There are more possibilieties, but this are the most obvious. Anyway, and das/elsa tester is needet for doing som different routines, for stressing the different parts of the suspension to find cause of the problem.

Regards!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 PM

my S600 had the same problem. it turned out to be i had a power steering leak. fill the power steering reservoir with the correct oil from mercedes.(it is located on the front left side of the engine compartment) start the car and hit the button on the dash to raise the cars ride height. i had to get my pump replaced by mercedes when the car broke down on me during vacation $2,300 dollars to fix it

Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM

so, I'll bring up my problem from yesterday. received error message about stop car, ride heigth too low. this blinked on a few times and eventually throught the day driving was on constantly and I can not hear a pump at all. the car is on the ground practically. Additioanlly, I was told a few years back I had a small leak in the fron air suspension and it would be about a thousand to fix. Could this be that problem just getting much worse? the dealer told me no hurry back then. shall i check the fuse first? additionally this began in the cold snap here. it is about 22 degrees lately. Am i ok to drive it at all? I took a different car to work today. thanks for your help.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Default air suspension

I am have problems with the air suspension on 2001 S500. I am thinking of having the strutmaster spring kit installed to eliminate this problem.
Anyone have any experience with this changeover?

cameo