Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Default mileage

How many miles should my 2000 Mercedes S 500 last? I have regular maintenance performed.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Default RE: mileage

How long is a piece of string?

300k easy if its looked after. i.e regular oil and filter changes.
Mind you you may have to change some "consumable" items.
How many have you done so far. What is your oil consumption.
Stuart

Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM

Stuart, thanks

Had new brakes and shocks a couple years ago. No idea about oil consumption. I take the car in when service reminder shows in message window.On the third set of tires, original then two more. Yep, I'm a girl !

I love the car and want to keep it as long as possible. Guess when it starts having problems I'll get something else.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 AM

Hi,
I meant how many Miles have you covered so far? from new?

3 sets of tyres? S Class is a bit heavy on tyres but some USA brands (Michelin) offer 100k mile life warranty I understand. So maybe you have already got to 300k miles but more likely about 100k. If currently at 100k it will go on forever! but do expect to have to change some parts.

An MB is well engineered, as are most European cars these days, (can't speak for your domestic vehicles) but will not last, without some work/attention indefinitely.

However I saw an MB on eBay recently at 986000 miles! but have no idea whether it was the original engine etc.

Electrical gremlins due to water / corrosion are usually the problem. Battery will go at about 5 years (no start etc). Keep a watch on oil consumption / level. Nothing will wreck an engine quicker than being run on low oil and if the car uses oil this is a sign that things are wearing out. If oil is above min level on dipstick or driver information panel and no oil has been added since the last service all is fine....oh and use the best / recommended oil Mobil 1 0w-40 oil or whatever grade is recommended BY MB in the USA, AND MB genuine filter, if you really are serious about extending vehicle life to the maximum.

Stuart.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 PM

Hi,

Thanks again, very reassuring.

I've driven 116,000 miles since I bought it new.

Original tires Michelin, third set Michelininstalled by Mercedes service. Obviously, I did not get 100,000 miles on original set, didn't know about the guarantee. About 20,000 mi. on current tires (3rd set.) How often should I have the tires checked? Exactly what does "tire check" mean?

All service has been done by Mercedes. I have no idea about any of the fluids. I rely on the service dept. to do all that. No problems with anything so far.

G

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 AM

Yes. Just leave it to MB and you should get trouble free mileage for years to come. Don't loose confidence in the car if you do have a couple of ****les in the not too far distant future. e.g. battery at circa 5 years, MAF at >100k miles etc. these parts are not designed to last forever.

I was amazed by the Michelin 100k mile tire "warranty" when I came across it. Since I only get circa 25k ish miles I changed to a set of Mich. Very pleased but don't think they will last the distance but no warranty given in the UK. (We have to many bends and circles!!)

However, good mileage means less grip. Tyres are a compromise. You can't have the best wear mileage, best gas mileage, best wet grip, good cold weather performance and best price all at once!

Stuart