Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Hard shifting on 560SEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Default Hard shifting on 560SEL

Recently purchased my '86 560SEL from a relative who has taken very good care of it. I took it to the MB dealer for some major work. Had the timing chain replaced, and had leaks fixed on the rear motor seal, transmission, and rear end. I've had the car back from the shop a week, and now all of a sudden it shifts gears VERY hard. I checked the ATF fluid level, and it looks good. Any ideas before I get the service department back on the horn?

p.s. Does anyone have any experience with the service department at MB of Annapolis, MD? They seem very good, just want to make sure.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Hard shifting on 560SEL

You mentioned a transmission leak being fixed. Did you check and see if the tranny is full? Or they might have "serviced" the tranny and the bands are too tight. Or, this happened to me once, not with a Mercedes, the dealer's tech actually put motor oil in the tranny. Got a new transmission as it failed in about a week.

Old 10-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Yep, the tranny dipstick shows the proper level when its warm, and there's definitely ATF in it. What bugs me is it drove fine for 2 weeks after I got it back from the shop.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:33 PM

I assume it was Ok, before the dealer fixed the leak. Then I would take it back ASAP and complain, but seeing the tranny fluid is OK, it sounds like bands or clucth's might be going or the bands are too tight. Does the the shifting smooth out when the car is warmed up, stay the same or get worse?

Old 10-20-2004, 05:51 PM

Never had the problem before the leaks were fixed. It started after a series of short drives and stops one morning(less than 5miles each). Now it happens all the time, whether or not the car is warmed up.

I have a call into the service rep. I hope they pick up the tab on this. I paid a small fortune to them last time around...a lot more than the car is worth!

Old 10-20-2004, 09:13 PM

The driving style should have no effect. When you talk to the serv rep, ask him if they did any service on the transmission besides fixing the leak, if they say no I would question them more directly; also check your receipt, everything a dealer does is supposed to be listed on the sheet. Also, how many miles on the car and do you know if the tranny fluid was changed previous to your ownership?

Old 10-20-2004, 09:16 PM

PS: It could also be the linkage is out of adjustment, I think, but not totally sure your Mercedes linkage can be adjusted.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

shifts gear very hard...can you please elaborate how it behave?

was it an engagement jerk?
was it slipping and grab at the end?
what gear?
please send your VIN.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:23 PM

Problem is constant whether tranny is warm or cold.
Tranny engages normally from P to D, P to R, etc.
Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th.
There is a significant thud and jerk when shifting, but it shifts quickly with no slippage.
Downshifting is not as dramatic as upshifting, but still noticable.
VIN# WDBCA39D9GA220077

Old 10-22-2004, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

check control pressure adjustment. this is the cable that you can see under the hood which is being actuated together with the accelerator. see that the arrow or pointers are properly aligned, and check if there was a slack on it.

check vacuum lines and connecting points for leaks. take note of the vacuum hose from the modulating pressure if there is a presence of oil inside. very often the rubber diagprahm of gets broken... but his will produce white smoke on the exhaust.

check the modulating pressure and adjust if necessary.

make sure that the transmission oil is the right quality and quantity.

those are the only possible things that affect your problem (pronouced gearshift jerks when changing gears... as what i understood).

Quick Reply: Hard shifting on 560SEL