Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Going to buy my first MB today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Default Going to buy my first MB today!

I am very excited. I have been wanting a 560 SEL for a long time, and I think I am going to buy one I found in about an hour. It's a 1991 560 with 181k. It looks very decent and runs smooth and strong. Most stuff is in good to excelent condition. The antenna is broke off and here are a few blemishes where the clear coat has worn off. The seats are like new, and all the power accessories work. The best part is that it has been a local car through it's 3 previous owners and the seller has a lot of paper work and documentaion on the car. I took it and had an emissions test done and it passed, so I am really looking foward to getting it. Where's a good place to order an antenna from? Any ides on what I can expect to need to do to the car soon? Any hints on things that go bad or need to be replaced often in these cars? Well wish me luck, going to see it again.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:19 PM

You can find alot of the stuff online, but keep in mind who made it. I have foud a lot of parts I needed I got straight from the dealer for the same or near price including shipping. I also know I got a quality part to. Basicly don't exclude MB when checking. As far as what your model might need for maitence research some prior posts on this site.
87300D

Old 02-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the club. the 560sel is a great buy if you get a good one. Mine went 250,000 miles before the front flex disk disinegrated on me three days before I left Germany. Check that and fix it before it goes and it will go beyond.

The things that need to be fixed often are really not that exspenisive. But change the suspension (hydromatic) fluid often as it is often over looked and can cause the thing to break eventually and that can cost you a bit. But the overall mechanics of the rear hydromatic suspension is pretty study and will put up with abuse for a while but when not abused will last most of the car's lifetime.

AC if it works, then no worries. Sometimes you get electical glitches with it sometimes but either you have those or dont.

Clear coat, if ya get around to it, make sure it gets done right as back in those day Mercedes was very liberal with paint and clear coat layers and these days, clear coat people get lazy and the replacement coat wont last no where near 20 years as the original has done.

There is also tips to get a leak down test just in case. There are post here that go into more detail.

Anyways, more than likely you wont regret ya purchase and welcome to the club. Only regret might be not having a good spot to really open that 5.6 up like it was meant to be.

I miss the autobahn and yes, that 560 will do 150mph.