Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Filled up tank and the gas would not stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Default Filled up tank and the gas would not stop

Craziest thing just happened tonight. Went to the gas station, I was down to 1/4 tank. inserted the gas hose and stood to the side as my car gassed up - just like normal.
All of a sudden the gas started shooting out of the spout and all I could do was to release the handle to stop the flow. Yes I got my arm and pretty much everything else covered in gas. What a mess. Anyway after the cleanup, I put the cap on to a filled tank, I mean FILLED. and I drove off. After a few hesitations all was well. I drove for about an hour and yes the gauge read full. I dont know when but somewhere in my trip the gage went to below zero and not low fuel light came on or even a check engine. and yet the care ran great.

Now I have a gas gauge that does not work.

Any suggestions?

2001 S500 85k - great car!

Newbie, Mike MBPA

Thanks

Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Default RE: Filled up tank and the gas would not stop

i do know that its a big no no to overfill your tank...they even say not to try and round to the next dollar after the auto shut off kicks inwhen yourfilling up....i hope you didnt pay for the wasted gas.....i hade that happen to me once in one of my trucks and i gave the cashier what i thought was right and she wrote it up as a drive off..told her to kiss my *** the gas was not in my truck so it was still hers i was a little cranky being that i was covered in gas[:'(]