Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default ethanol

read in the paper (actual newpaper print) today, like the young fogey I am, and say thay at least here they are authorizing up to 15% ethanol in the gas now. Now, I do not belive MBZ had ethanol in mind when they made the W126 and I'm kind of curious with the effects of that stuff in these cars as the concentration goes up and up which I have a feeling we will be looking at 25% or so in about 5-10 years if not 100% ethanol. I mean, jeesh, why cant the US make GAs like the rest of the world. First they had crap sulfur gas that caused problems with euros in the cat and exhaust system and early BMW V-8s. Now this ethanol which I hear does not go as far as norma gasoline. I'm just curious of the effects of ethanol in older cars. I bet though it will a transition sorta like when they got rid of leaded fuel.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

kind of backwards aint it? They publically stated that they want to reduce the amount of gas consumed by americans but put stuff in the fuel to that reduce how far a tank of gas goes? I know I'm probably simplifing it and sure there is a method to the science.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM

In Wisc I can buy Shell V, no alky. I get 2-3 mpg (like forced said - about 10%) more fuel milage with it over BP Premium or Mobil premium with alky. It costs 9-10 cents more. I put on about 650 miles a week.

I get about 24mpg with alky added fuel.
I get about 28mpg with non-alky v

So I save about $9.50 a week, or about $490 a year, using real gas, that costs a bit more per gallon.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Thumbs up Ethanol - my god whats wrong with you

People with no foresight are knocking ethanol. Fossil fuel will not last forever. Just think if a car was engineered to run on ethanol. Ethanol is a very high octane fuel. High compression engines would be back on our roads, getting efficent horsepower and better fuel mileage. Cellulose ethanol uses the throwaway part of the corn stalk. Why not use it !!
The farmers in this country can produce all the corn needed to supply not only this country, but the rest of the world. We have vast parts of the mid west thats not being used. The money generated from this would stay in this country instead of supporting paradises in the middle east. We are funding those countries for fossil fuel. Don't you think its about time we move into the 21st century and use biofuels that are renewable. Just think of reduced pollution, clean fuel, a robust economy, and clean running cars reducing pollution. You all really need to use your heads. Why the hell are we still using fossil fuel. People, lets get your act together.
Mercedes is the forerunner in automotive technology. Just think of the
high performance cars they can engineer and design using ethanol.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Default Why don't we go back and live in the 19th century

I can counter every one of the negative comments about the use of ethanol and we can go on forever. Soooo, I tell you what you can do !
Unhook the electric from your home, get some whale oil lamps, and light up your life that way! Of course, we will have to go whaling again, but what the heck, we can still build sail boats, shanghai some sailors and go fishing. Sooner or later, and I think sooner, the oil industry will lose. Good riddens to living in the dark.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 AM

Not enough water ? Do you think the oceans will run out ? Every drop of water used on this planet gets recycled from vapor to water and back to vapor etc. There is no such thing as wasting water. You can't use up water. Basic science 101.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Default Fresh water

That big bright ball in the sky evaporates water from all the oceans then dumps it back as FRESH water on both land and sea. The salt part does not get evaporated. Duh