Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

DVD Playback

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Default DVD Playback

Just bought a new benz. Can anyone tell me how to turn on the DVD playback picture? The picture just fade away, only hear the audio.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: DVD Playback

during driving?

Old 08-20-2005, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: boeur

Just bought a new benz. Can anyone tell me how to turn on the DVD playback picture? The picture just fade away, only hear the audio.

Thanks
I just bought A Benz in the USA and I have the same problem. It will only play the sound. But I have a new Benz in Bangkok and it will play DVDs (audio and visual) if the car is in (P) Park and has the hand break on. But, I can't make my USA machine do the same thing.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow. If you fins out the answer let me know...I'll do the same.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:01 PM

corkscrew,

sleepwalker said your video player can be enabled while in Park. The dealer needs to do it using Star Diagnosis.

Old 09-10-2005, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

corkscrew,

sleepwalker said your video player can be enabled while in Park. The dealer needs to do it using Star Diagnosis.
My dealer said US dealers can not do it. Not allowed in the USA.

Old 09-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Does it play video if the engine is turned off? Otherwise, it makes no sense to have one.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:42 PM

Does it play video if the engine is turned off? Otherwise, it makes no sense to have one.
No, the thing will not play the video track of a DVD even when the engine is off....only the audio. So I can listen to movies only. MB allows the system to play the video if the car is in Canada or Mexico (after an adjustment)...but not in the USA. My MBs in Bangkok play video if they are in Park. It is pretty stupid to have this rule in the USA...that you can't play video even when the car in in Park or the engine is off. I wonder which mindless bureaucrat though up this rule.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:48 PM

Something isn't quite right. I know for a fact that aftermarket installers install DVD players that play video when the car is stopped. I don't know the specifics about whether the trans in park or the engine is off, but they play video when the car isn't moving. This is some strange M-B rule and not a US law.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:02 PM

Something isn't quite right. I know for a fact that aftermarket installers install DVD players that play video when the car is stopped. I don't know the specifics about whether the trans in park or the engine is off, but they play video when the car isn't moving. This is some strange M-B rule and not a US law.
I agree with you. Maybe MB is afraid of some weird lawsuit if they allow a front seat DVD visual in one of their USA cars. Perhaps they think someone will find a way to watch a movie while rolling the car down a long hill with the engine off. I would really like to know who and why this decision was made.

As I said, both of my MBs in Bangkok can play DVD visuals as long as the car is either in Park or the hand break is on or the engine is off. Granted Bangkok (Thailand) is not noted for its street safety (drivers ignore zebra crossings and you can pass on the verge plus there are lots of other unsafe road things) but the country does not cacoon us to death.

To be frank....I do not really feel the need to watch a DVD from the front seat of my car....I use the machine to take me from A to B and a radio or a GPS and a phone is all I need. But, I think it is silly to build a DVD into a car and say that you can't use it even if your car is dead in its tracks.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: corkscrew

I agree with you. Maybe MB is afraid of some weird lawsuit if they allow a front seat DVD visual in one of their USA cars. Perhaps they think someone will find a way to watch a movie while rolling the car down a long hill with the engine off. I would really like to know who and why this decision was made.

As I said, both of my MBs in Bangkok can play DVD visuals as long as the car is either in Park or the hand break is on or the engine is off. Granted Bangkok (Thailand) is not noted for its street safety (drivers ignore zebra crossings and you can pass on the verge plus there are lots of other unsafe road things) but the country does not cacoon us to death.

To be frank....I do not really feel the need to watch a DVD from the front seat of my car....I use the machine to take me from A to B and a radio or a GPS and a phone is all I need. But, I think it is silly to build a DVD into a car and say that you can't use it even if your car is dead in its tracks.
I wrote to MB about this but I have not recerived a reply.