Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

CPO Tire specification - Pulls to right

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Default CPO Tire specification - Pulls to right

I just purchased a CPO 2005 S500 4matic with AMG Sport Packagefrom my local MB dealer. I noticed the Eagle RS-A tires were somewhat worn after the car was delivered. I know, I should have checked prior to delivery, but I assumed they were new, shame on me. When I asked my salesman to explain he said that MB would not leave used tires on a CPO car unless there was 90% or better tread left. Well, I measured the tread at 6/32" which is closer to 50% of tread left. Does anyone know what the "rule" is at MB regarding when to replace tires on a CPO car?

Also, I read a great thread regarding "pull to right" in this S Class forum. I'm embarking down the same path. The following (edited) e-mail explains it all. Any advice, comments would be useful.

Good morning XXXX,[/align][/align]I havethree problems: [/align][/align]1. Worn tires: The tires on my CPO appear to have only about 6/32" of tread. New, the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tire isconstructed with 11/32" of tread. If my math is accurate, that means the car was delivered to me withapproximately 60%-65% of the original tread left on the tire. You told meMercedesput new tires on a CPO if the tread did not meettheir high standards which you stated to be in the 90% to 95% range. Please note that I measuredone tireusinga desk ruler. You may want to have the tires measured by a Mercedes mechanic, but how far off could I be?[/align][/align]2. Wrong rear tires: The 2005 S500 4-matic operator's manual states that the car must be equipped with 245/45 R18 front tires and 265/R40 R18 rear tires due to the wider rear wheels. The car you delivered to me yesterday is equipped with 245/45 R18 tires front and rear. This is the wrong tire for the rear of this car. The manual states that warranties are in jeopardy whenever the owner deviates from the factory recommendations. The manual also states thatwhenever the owner deviates from the factory recommendations there may be safety issues.Regardless of whether or not my warranty or my safety is in jeopardy, I was very disappointed that my CPO Mercedes is equipped with the wrong tires in the rear. [/align][/align]3. Car pulls to right: I did observe that the car pulls to the rightduring the test drive. In fact, in order to keep the car heading straight down the road Imust turn thesteering wheel slightly to the left. I'm basically steering left to keep itgoingstraight. You did say you were going to have this looked at before I took delivery, but the problem persists.[/align][/align]Iam pretty open this week to bring the car into the shop fora wheel alignment and hopefully new tires. I am not anticipating that I will be billed for these goods andservices. Please try to schedule this work any day this week. I would prefer tohave the work completed byThursday evening if possible.[/align][/align]Other than theseproblems I think the car you sold to me is awesome and Ifully anticipate thatyour dealership will back that car and do something about my problems. I believe in using the dealer whenever possible and Ilook forward toa long relationship with Mercedes-Benz of XXXX.[/align][/align]Rick Liebert[/align]Mobile XXX-XXX-XXXX[/align]

Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Default RE: CPO Tire specification - Pulls to right

It sounds like you have an alignment issue. Sounds like the castor is off, or there may be a control arm issue. Try getting it aligned, first, and see what that presents. Attempt the most economical repair first. Tires don't just get that way by themselves, unless they've seen a lot of road miles, or there just bad tires. Generally, there is an underlying cause.

As for the tread depth, that's something you'll definitely have to take up with the dealership. Find out what their requirements are, and then present them with the facts, and see what happens. If it's Certified Pre-Owned, who did the certification? Trace it back, and when was it done, how long before you took delivery?

Let us know how this comes out.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 PM

First of all my Infiniti FX pulls to the right as well. All roads are shaped that way to drain water to sewers when it rains. When I put the S500 on the highway, it doesn't veer anywhere. On local roads it does. So don't be too mindful of that when you drive, its normal.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:26 AM

I hear you and thank you for your comments, but my S500 is pulling to the right even when on a highway that is crowned such that water drains to the left when in the passing lane. This road is Rt22 through Allentown, PAif, by any chance, you are from this area.

The dealer is installing a new tire on Tuesdaysince one was mismatched on the rear. Hopefully I'll see an improvement.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:31 AM

If the car is pulling only when accelerating, then your diff is the problem.

I would ditch the tires that are not wearing out evenly then redo 4 wheels alignment. General Exclaim UHP makes great, affordable (can't say cheap in this forum) tires that the M3 forum (which I frequent regularly) raves about.

I would ensure that all the tires properly inflated. I prefer 38 front and 40psi in rear.

Maybe the car had some front end collision that was never reported. You may have to lawyer up to get the dealer to do the right thing.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 PM

It was the tires. I put 2 new tires on the front and the best remaining2 on the rear and it drives perfect. The dead giveaway was when I drove the car to the dealer in 20 degree air and it drove perfectly until the tires warmed up little, then it was horrible.