Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Coil Spring Fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Default Coil Spring Fiasco!

Hey Guys:

I had to post this experience. I've been posting that I was going to replace my coil springs. Well, I happened to take my car to my usual Benz Master Certified Mechanic (Not Dealership). This guy usual razzes me about how long stuff takes to accomplish, regardless of what the book says the shop-time is; well, he stated that it would only take about 20 minutes to replace each spring.

The first thing he does is put the car on the Hydro-lift, and lifts the car high into the air, removed the wheel, compressed the spring, and removed it (apparently without incident), but he didn't take into account the steps he skipped. When he compressed the new spring and attempted to install it, it didn't go! He decompressed the spring, readjusted the compressor, and went at it again...still wouldn't go in. He did this 2 more times with the same result.

He then removed the lower end of the ball-joint to swing the wheel-hub out of the way and attempted to have a fellow-mechanic attempt to pry it in, still wouldn't go! Now, we're an hour into the job with no positive result. Now, I'm stuck![:@] It's Friday, it's after 5pm now, he's waiting for his pay check, he lowers the car to about 2 feet of the ground, still on the lift, goes to the boss, gets his paycheck and runs off! Just left...with me standing there by my car, in the bay![&:] What the f***??? Didn't say, "I'll be back, sorry, got something I gotta do, nothing...just took the HELL OFF! Ohhhhh...I'm [:@]Flame'n[:@]!

Needless to say, I talked with his boss, another Master Certified Benz Mechanic, who clearly puts the blame on his worker, but offered nothing as a recompense. I had to get another mechanic to drive me home. And needless to say, my car is still there, in the air, and the inconsiderate idiot didn't even have the decency nor the work ethic to come in today to finish the damn job.

It's obvious that this guy doesn't change springs often. But it would seem that he would have atleast consulted his manual!

It seems to me that he would lift the car, support the lower control arm, disconnect the lower end of the ball-joint, disconnect the lower end of the swaybar link, disconnect the lower end of the shock, then lower the floor-jack supporting the lower control arm to facilitate easier removal and installation of the new spring, he may have accomplished his objective. This is what seems to me would have been the logical choice, but he did none of this! Instead, he gets rattled because he lost face, due to his blunder. And he lost any sense of sequence, and took the hell off! Ohhhh, I'm hot!

Now, I am really nervous about what's going to happen with, or to my car! I have been back and forth with emotions, i.e., fire-spittin mad, confused, comatose, and back again! Now, I'm just plain f**k*** speechless! I still can't believe this happened!

I don't know what I'm going to do about this situation, but I do know what I'm NOT going to do ever again....[:@]

What would you guys do in this kind of situation?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Default RE: Coil Spring Fiasco!

David.
Wow!
How would I move forward?
If the place that you go has any credibility they should be taking the next action to bring you back down from orbit.

Where do all these Master Certified technicians come from? Who issues all these certificates? For what model, For what system? Strikes me that this Certified ticket is not all it's cracked up to be.

My experience is like the guy who came to fit an new electric meter the other day. Got out his procedure sheet.
Step.1.Stand on rubber mat.
2. Break security seal and bin broken seal.
3. Remove fuse.
4. Place dummy fuse in lieu of original
etc etc.
However when asked a SIMPLE question regarding earth bonding (I was in the process of rewiring the whole house for which you have to be CERTIFIED or have your work subsequently checked!) the guy tells me he knows NOTHING about electricity, circuits or regulations. Only how to do the procedure he has been taught to do!

So if your guy has never been taught to change a spring or whatever he may not have a clue how to proceed.

I'm at the other extreme.

I have NO MB training or certification but have walked the walk of the auto industry and when I need to do a job I can usually work it out from first principals. Not how to fit a new component BUT how the system works thus enabling me to do the job. hence I repair Instruments packs, air compressors, anything that needs fixing.

I wish you luck and maybe you will get your car back in time for your Birthday.

Stuart

Old 01-16-2008, 03:14 AM

Great info dude.. I'll take note of that.. I think the problem is the same as my dad's car

Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Hey Stuart,

Just to update you, the New Coils were installed on Monday past. The Owner and I had another discussion about the previous weeks' experience, and he put the Springs on himself and took 100 bucks off of the price.

Now, the car is sitting higher than expected! The Springs are Lesjofors Coil Springs. I had the car aligned yesterday, which lowered it some, but I'll have to get used to the new height. I'm not going to put Lowering Springs on it, because I really want ride quality now. Later for the sport look and all of the repercutions of changing the dynamics. I'll just let the Springs settle to whatever degree, and be content.