Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Can I change my 2000 S430's Factory Command Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Default Can I change my 2000 S430's Factory Command Navigation System

The factory command navigation system in my 2000 s430 is giving me the following error message everytime I insert the navi cd:

"CD-Reading error. Please change CD. !"

everything else works, the radio, cd changer, telephone button, tape deck. But whenever I put the navigation cd in,
it gives me this message. I tried a friends navi cd from his 2002 55 clk and the same message, I brought another navi cd, samething.
I was told the drive could be bad or it needs a software update.

Went to Mercedes-Benz of manhattan and inquired how much would it cost to switch out the factory navi if the drive was indeed defective.
I was quoted $4000 without labor. One of the guys behind the parts desk said I should just buy one from ebay and just switch it out.
So I did, I brought the same factory navi system from someone on ebay who took it out of his 2002 s500 which only had 17000 miles on it for $350.
He put an updated system in his car so he wanted to get rid of this one.

I went back to a different benz service man at Mercedes-Benz Bayside to ask them if it was indeed plug and play before I swap it out.
He said that they are not plug an play, and all mercedes navi system have to be set with a computer where you have to program
the navigation with the serial# so the car can recognize it. Is this true?

Now I'm scared to get the system swapped out. I have a navi system I brought which i'm not sure can work in my car?

1. Has anyone ever done this type of work done before?, where your swapping to factory navigation systems.

2. Is the system plug and play? (or is this only for certain models?

3. What problems if any did you have?,

4. Any suggestions on where I can get the system switched, I'm in NYC but willing to travel to New Jersey or even Parts of Conneticuit.

Help! By the way I love this forum its truly a blessing

[IMG]local://upfiles/12920/C34CE7A3DECB478E9ADEC27D3E4563E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Default RE: Can I change my 2000 S430's Factory Command Navigation System

I took a leap of faith and installed it and it works perfect, it was indeed plug and play. Hope this helps anyone with similar situation.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:35 PM

Leap of faith indeed, good show. The Chrysler stealership wanted to charge me 300 to install my Navi because of some re wiring. All plug and play done in my garage in under an hour.

I don't find the CD NAV in my 2000 S430 helpful at all. My small town is not even in the database. I will get a Garmin or such to share b/t the Saab and S430.

How hard was it getting to your Navi to do the work?

Old 06-26-2006, 03:07 AM

um you need to go to the dealer and have them perform some version coding changes to your comand center. the new navi is out of another car and dosent have the same options yours does so you need to get it changed over to what your car has. your new navi system could start doing so weird stuff like saying no cd of no phone or start going blank.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:27 PM

My Leap of Faith Paid off!
It was so easy to change. I initailly made an appointment with a car servcing retailer that makes these kind of changes I was told that it would cost me about $75 for a hour of labor. The person making the appointment stressed how easy the job was to swap out the same system and that we would be in and out of there. My cousin and I felt we should be able to do it, so we unscrewed the unit by opening the ashtray and loosening those screws. We did have to put the car in drive in order to unscrew the ashtray because it won't have enough room to come all the way out if the shifter is on park. Then we popped out the wooden paneling and unscrewed a couple of more screws. We made sure the car was turned off before disconnecting anything. After inspecting the back of both units and making sure they had the same connections we took the connections out 1 at a time and reconnected it to the new system. We turned the car on to test the unit and it worked perfectly. Plug and Play. We tested each button on the unit and on the steering wheel. everything works. Then we rescrewed everything, put the wood panel back on and I've been driving my car ever since. I use the radio and the navigation every time im in the car and it flawless. The only thing I reseted was changing the time from Central to Easter standard time, because the person I brought the system from was set to Central standard time and I'm in the Eastcoast. I'm so happy. Mercedes wanted to charge me $4000 without labor. I did it in literally 10minutes. Well here is my disclaimer: I don't want anyone saying they tried becasue I told them too. I am not doing that. I can't guarantee what may happen if you try to do it on your own. I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone wanted to know how my situation was resolved. Hope this helps.

Hey II Kings 9:20: Your right, the 2000 Navi Cd is not helpful, I was able to purchase a newer cd from ebay. My original navigation system kept giving me a cd error message. I thought that my cd was bad, so I brought a newer version from Ebay. Which turned out to be a good thing anyway, because I was able to use that cd in the new system with the updated information. And it wasn't hard to get the work done at all.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:46 PM

hi i saw your post and wanted to know since you have the old unit out anyway if you or maybe someone else knows if the lcd is removable because i broke mine if it is i would like to buy it off of you. thanks joe

Old 07-01-2006, 02:28 PM

I'm not sure if you can take the lcd off, I'm sure there's a way but it may require a certain skill. If you're interested in purchasing it, just make me an offer cause I was about to place it on ebay.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Is it possible to replace the entire command modure/center consul, including the climate control with the 2003 and new edition with DVD? I wonder if the systems are plug and play behind the dash. I am hopeful because the navigation and climate controld are fully seld contained. I would do it if I could. I love the car and there is no reason to buy a new car just for DVD capabilities. Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:01 AM

ON THE ADVERTISEMENT BAR ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN IS A GUY WHO WILL UPGRADE YOU NAV TO DVD.