Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Automatic Transmission Fluid level W140

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid level W140

I am getting occasional clunking from the transmission when a gear change happens.
This causes the car to kick a little as the new gear takes on.
It is neither severe nor frequent, so I am not majorly worried about it yet.
It did occur to me to check the ATF level and top this up if necessary.
My owner's manual clearly does not expect me to be competent enough to do this and says to take the car to a servicing MB dealer.
The engine oil dipstick and filler cap are plainly obvious, but there is no obvious equivalent for the ATF.
Surely this routine fluid check and top-up should be within the reach of a competent amateur?
How is it done?

Regards

Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Default RE: Automatic Transmission Fluid level W140

ORIGINAL: S600 owner

I am getting occasional clunking from the transmission when a gear change happens.
This causes the car to kick a little as the new gear takes on.
It is neither severe nor frequent, so I am not majorly worried about it yet.
It did occur to me to check the ATF level and top this up if necessary.
My owner's manual clearly does not expect me to be competent enough to do this and says to take the car to a servicing MB dealer.
The engine oil dipstick and filler cap are plainly obvious, but there is no obvious equivalent for the ATF.
Surely this routine fluid check and top-up should be within the reach of a competent amateur?
How is it done?

Regards
Well I though this too, was told by my local garage that Mercedes says "we", as in car owners are not suposed/allowed to change it........not sure why though!!! And as a matter of interest that was an independent garage telling me....

But if you do want to change it yourself, you need to buy a "Gearbox anti tamper plug", part number for my car is 1409910055 (1997 S500) - 5 speed auto box, cost is £0.38GBP - so dirt cheap!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Default RE: Automatic Transmission Fluid level W140

Thanks for reply. I guess if they have gone to these lengths to stop us messing with it, they probably have a reason.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 AM

Hi,

I have a C180 and seem to have a similar proplem, it happens infrequently, you think your mind is playing tricks on you, no warning lamps show, but i am sure there is something not quite right.

However las night whils driving it wouldn't seem to go out of 3rd gear happy to rev up and down,(No error lights) if i used the gear + - it wouldn't change the gear the display still showed "D" I stopped the car turned off and restarted then it worked Fine.

Did you top up your oil levels ?
Did that resolve the problem ?

Cheers.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 AM

they did everything to mine (s320 cdi 2008 model) but sometimes my gear hget stuck and/or the car jerks in the lower gear.. software update, changing oil, changing oxygen sensor etc etc etc.. but the car causes me stress and ****... I am driving a bmw automatic also and this is changing gear very smoothly... i believe Mercedes has a real problems with their gearboxes and should be held liable for this bad product they produce.. they are now telling me that the jerking is actually according to manufacturers specs... (after bringing it back to different dealers and they failed to repair...)..

anybody else has these problems?? I am planning to take mercedes to court.. Because of consumer right issues.. But need lobby group that experiences same problem with gearboxes relative new models/cars with automatic transmission...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM

donkey, send your MB 2008 model to a competent dealership, its covered by warranty and no such transmission on earth with jerk is considered normal, there is a proper way to adjust and trim the transmission to avoid those symptoms. And if your transmission has ever been overhauled, then something is definitely wrong with the mechanic who did your tranny, the operation and fixing of a tranny is pretty straight forward, nothing fancy or mysterious, just follow instruction and use a very very clean location and work like a surgeon when operating on your tranny.