Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Assessing repairability of '85 300SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Default Assessing repairability of '85 300SD

I have been given an 1985 300SD. The car looks good with a straight body and no rust evident. Approximately 200,000 miles show on the odometer. I have had the car up to approx 50 mph. It tracks straight and seems to handle well. Interior is a bit rough in spots, but mostly needs cosmetics and some small parts. All electrics other than AC and power antenna appear to work well. The car sat for approximately one year without being driven and its maintenance during the last couple of years may have been neglected somewhat by its previous owner, who was very ill for some time.

My brother-in-law (a mechanic) went over the car for me. In order to pass state inspection in Virginia, the car is going to need new brake calipers on front, upper control arms in the front, brake pads on the rear, torsion link bushings, and a drive shaft flex coupling. I can replace these parts, but it us going to cost over $600. Before I invest the money and time into this thing, I want to make sure that it is going to be worth it.

Currently the engine and transmission are working poorly. The engine has **very** little power at low rpm, but it pulls strongly above 3500 rpm. The transmission doesn't shift from 1st to 2nd until the engine reaches 4500 rpm. Even then I have to kick it up to neutral, let off off the gas, and then drop it back into drive to get it to upshift. It won't upshift to 3rd at all.

My goal at this point is to do a **minimum** level of repairs necessary to determine whether the engine and transmission are basically sound. As a first step, I have replaced the air filter and the secondary fuel filter. I will change out the the transmission and engine oils/filters as well, just to make sure things are clean inside.

Other than those very routine maintenance tasks, what should I be doing to start sorting out the engine?
Check valve lash adjustment perhaps? Fuel system troubleshooting maybe?

Can anyone recommend a good repair manual for this car?

Any help I can get will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
RayG

Old 12-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Assessing repairability of '85 300SD

well there are a ton of things you can do.

1) Check for vacuum leaks, the tranny shift is dependent upon vacuum.
2) The egine pulling problem is probably an adjustment.
3) The late shift on the tranny is mosty likely a maladjusted bowden cable.

good luck with your venture

Old 01-05-2005, 11:33 PM

I have a 1981 300SD and if you are planning on using the 300 sd alot will will make you a very good daily drive and a cheap up keep cost. Once you get the car up and going on a reg. time and using it, it will treat you great and with living in northern Virginia you will not have to worry about the emissions test every 2 years. I am a big fan of the Diesel's.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 AM

I have a 1985 300SD The turbo charge really doesnt kick in untill you have a hier RMP. There are some little white valves hoocked to the vacume on top of the valve covers. there will lie your vacume problem with the trasmission shiftig. this car will be worth the money you put into it. sounds as if you have a good car. Good luck