Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

ASR help [please

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Default ASR help [please

After 4 weeks and $$$$$$ my 93 600SEL ASR light is still on
I have replaced the Control module and both throttle bodies.
It ran like a champ after the Thtrottle body instal then the next morning right back to where I started ..."ASR" Light on and in LHM.

I purchased a code reader from ebay and it now reads

#30...ASR only: CAN data bus to EA/CC/ISC control module interupted.

Does anyone know what this means and how do I fix it?

Any help would be much appreciated.[/align]

Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Default RE: ASR help [please

Try clearing the codes for the ASR module, which probably requires read code, clear code, ignition off for 30 seconds, check code cleared.
Then do this a couple times with engine running and drive a bit in between. Ensure other systems/moduels codes are cleared and checked/monitored. With repeats of same code, even after clearing, issue usually is wiring, but not always. This particular code can sometimes be a false signal from having ignition on too long without starting or during code reading for al ong time. I know as it happens to me with the that error code presenting. Battery condition, alternator condition, brake light switch, third brake light bulb connection, wheel speed sensors, etc.,can also cause ASR/ABS lights to come on for odd reasons. Reading, clearing, checking codes helps. Usually the control module is the last resort to replace. I suspect wiring and brake light switch on my car, although brake light switch replaced twice and lamps checked, issue returns.
Let me know if I can assist: wmercer@***.net.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Default RE: ASR help [please

As WMercer states did you Reset code etc?

Although I have limited experience on this age of vehicle it would appear that you have a wiring fault.

The EA (Electronic Accelerator) the CC (Cruise Control) and ASR (Anti Slip) are alkl connected thru a CAN (Digital highway/network). Your specif code is stating that this signal is interupted. Presumably this means no signal is being sensed and as a consequenceisf failing a "start up" test, thus putting the car into LHM.

As WMercerstates changingthe module would have been the last thing on my hit list.

Starting point is to think back to when the problem started.

How was the problem first noticed and what action weretaken?

I don't suppose the car went anywhere near a garage or DIY especially regarding idle speed or engine tune issue? Early EA (part mechanical vs total FBW FlybyWire) required the accelerator linkage to be set up in a particular way otherwise the LHM/CC arrangement is compromised. Presumably thesetup on V12 is even more complex than V8.

The Throttle Control Actuator is also prone to water ingress. Was there any sign of such on the displaced units?

Hope this gives you some pointers.

EDIT. Just out of curiosity what make of code reader are you using?

Stuart